Trying to keep my cool!

I just learned that my DH got laid off. It is temporary but I have 5 kids and I only work part time in the winter because I work for an installer of swimming pools ,so my checks are not what they are during the warm months. I did not know where to post this so forgive me. What do you ladies in the same boat do to get by? How do you keep from freaking out about losing your house etc?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:24 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh yes, I lost that crappy @$$(sorry for language but any other word is an understatement) waitressing job but my SO's income pays the bills but still affects me as far as needing to pay my car insurance, cell phone, and books for school. I'm sorry you're in this boat. It sucks.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:38 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Unemployment? My dad gets laid off every year, and they just live off that. My step-mom only has a crap part time job, but they seem to get by
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 11:32 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Mine was laid off in June and just went back in Jan. We saved money? We lived on that and unemployment.

Answer by gemgem at 11:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• if its the mortgage you're concerned with, try calling your bank/lender and working out a plan for t his temporary layoff period..if you've been consistent and on-time with your payments, have shown 'good faith' in otherwords, they might be willing to help out. same with some medical bills. not sure what to do about utility bills, they can be pretty nasty with everyone. cut out ALL unnecessary spending immediately: entertainment,extra cable/internet, dining out/fast food-start planning all your meals so you won't overspend on crap at the grocery store. anything that isn't necessary for real..get rid of it, for now. its just temporary, so try not to freak too bad. it will work out, and you'll both be bringing in salary again.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:37 AM on Jan. 23, 2009