Why did my chicken get so tough?

We grilled some chicken breasts and the leftovers sat in the fridge 24 hours. Today, I put them in the microwave for like a minute and they came out SO tough. I wanted them warm though for my salad! What did I do wrong?

TXdanielly

Asked by TXdanielly at 10:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Food & Drink

• You microwaved them at to high of a temp. thats the only thing I can think of that would make them tough if they were tender off the grill the night before. Also reheat chicken covered with a papertowel or in a bowl with a plate over it for no maore than 2 minutes and do one breat at a time.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• next time you should put the left over chicken in a steamer bag from ziploc..it'll keep the moisture in..or you can put it in a tupperware with a little bit of water and the lid loosely on..
    yas_marie_87

Answer by yas_marie_87 at 11:19 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• The microwave will pull the moisture out of them. Makes them very rubbery. Ugh. Like the poster above me suggested use zip lock baggies it will help hold the moisture in while you nuke them.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:40 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Did you warm them too long in the microwave? This can cause meat to be very dry. Were they sealed tightly so no air got to them? If they arent sealed well in the frigde, the cold air the fridge blows out can sometimes make them dry.
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 4:02 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• I haven't tried the steamer bags from zip-loc. I definately nuked them TOO long.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:23 PM on Jul. 20, 2008