Baby gate

Which gates would you guys recommend, I need one for the top and bottom of the stairs. My son is 6 months old so I need them to last, and if I can I would like to find some that aren't too hard for my 6 year old to get threw

Sammieanne

Asked by Sammieanne at 10:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i like my evenflo top of stairs gates. they are simple to operate but too hard for an infant/toddler to open. they have worked very well for me so far--mine are 14 months old, and they grab them and shake them. they are very sturdy and easy for me to open. the other things i like about them are that you can totally lift the gate off the hinges if you don't need it there temporarily, and also that it is a swing gate but doesn't have that bar that goes across the bottom that you'd have to step over like a lot of other gates. that bar at the bottom just seems like a tripping hazard to me. hope this helps!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• you'll need one that is made for stairs...they screw into the walls etc.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• You can put a "pressure fit" gate at the bottom of the stairs but you should use a hardware mount gate at the top. You don't want anyone leaning against that gate and having the "pressure fit" system fail.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I'm not sure how much you want to spend...but I would look into these for the top and bottom of your stairs. It is nice because you don't have to climb over the gate because there is a door that you can open and an alarm so you know it a child is opening it. Here is the link:
    http://www.babyearth.com/summer-infant-sure-and-secure-extra-tall-top-of-stairs-gate-alarm.html

There are other models too that are cheaper. I just googled: baby gates for stairs
    michmelody

Answer by michmelody at 1:35 PM on Jul. 20, 2008