• In the Spotlight:

Which foods do you avoid to prevent allergies in babies when breastfeeding?

thecat3

Asked by thecat3 at 11:50 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well, if you dont feed (in this case eat) all kinds of stuff you wont figure out if your baby actually has any kind of allergies.

just because you or baby daddy have an allergy doesnt mean your child has it too.

e.g. my hubby is allergic to peanuts, our DD isnt.
    im allergic to green beans, our DD isnt ;)

i didnt stop eating anything. eat whatever you feel like eating, if your baby gets sick (upset stomach, red spots on the body or anything else different than usual), then you might want to get an allergy test done.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Depending on your doctor or what book you're reading, you'll get opposite answers. One side will tell you not to eat any highly allergic foods (things with gluten, dairy, peanuts so on and so forth) because they believe that infant exposure can cause an allergy. The other side will tell you it's OK to eat those foods and not to go an extended period of time without having your baby exposed to those allergens as the breast milk only introduces them in small doses whereas they're getting the full effect when they're older eating them for the first time. I personally do not avoid eating any type of food unless it's processed, fatty, sugary and generally unhealthy. But, that's not due to fear of allergies.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You eat as you normally would. If you notice that a particular food upsets your baby, cut it out of your diet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I didn't avoid anything. There is NO proof that eating allergenic foods will cause those proteins to cross into the breastmilk. It is also an old wives' tale that certain foods YOU eat can cause your baby dietary distress (gas). I would just eat as normally and don't worry about allergins unless YOU are allergic - then of course you shouldn't eat that food.

ANd I agree that if you or your SO are allergic that doesn't mean that your child will be as well. Though it does mean that you will want to watch them closely when they start eating those foods because there is a higher POSSIBILITY that your child might be allergic.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have to avoid Milk and Soy but that's because we found out she's allergic.

I have always avoided spicy foods though because she seems irritated by those.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• avoid peanut butter while breast feeding the doctor told me it could Make baby develop a peanut allergy
    Dylansmommy2006

Answer by Dylansmommy2006 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• we suspect that my baby is allergic to milk and milk products because i drink tea with milk, cottage cheese, yogurt cheese.....healthy diet now i have to substitute those with something else, any suggestions?
    thecat3

Answer by thecat3 at 3:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009