Affirmative action???

A black man is president, the majority of Americans voted for him. Do we still need affirmative action?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope. I have never really been for it though. Im hispanic and a woman and for me I want to get a job based on my education and merit not my race or gender. Thats just me.

Answer by gemgem at 12:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Affirmative action is still covered by the state. It's not legal in California and hasn't been for quite some time. Not sure what other states have bans, but I know California isn't alone on this.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• what is affirmative action?? i know dumb question but i just really want to know what it is before i answer.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I really think we should take the check boxes off everything. Who cares what color someone is if they have got the talent? It perpetuates the idea that there is racism, which perpetuates the hatred.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

right on.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I personally do not agree with affirmative action. It had it's time and place but I don't believe that it is needed any longer. Being a woman I would rather know that I received a job based on my merit and not b/c the employer needed to fill a quota.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The majority has but what about those who didnt and are still racist. This is the reason for affirmative action..People are really racist and dont wont anyone else to prosper. You have to regulations and standards becuase people are still mean and cruel
    MizzThom

Answer by MizzThom at 3:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Ok...why does Affirmative action only comes up when it comes to blacks. Don't you'all realize not only helps blacks, but it helps hispanics, Asians, and any other minority races in the US. Not only does it help minority races (not just black) but it helps women too! Some people tend to forget that. So OP, not trying to be nasty, but Affirmative Action is not something just for blacks. Also, just because Obama is president (by the way, I'm surprised you said he was black) doesn't mean affirmative action should be taken away. Lastly, Obama did not become president because of affirmative action. This question really has nothing to do with him.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 3:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I don't think affirmative action gives an accurate perception of the way things work. I wouldn't want a job just because my boss was afraid I would sue if I didn't get it. I wouldn't want it because he was meeting a "quota" of minorities. I want to get a job (or an academic slot) because of my merits, my hard work.
    Since someone mentioned it works for all minorities... take those of asian decent: They are first pick out of a group of applicants for a technical job, because 95% of them work there a** off , and consider doing well a matter of personal honor. They didn't, and don't need affirmative action. I've also never seen any Hispanic person unable to get a job either.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We don't need affirmative action and probably never did. Its killing our companies and causing division and resentment in the workplace. My dh deals with it everyday.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 4:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009