Is it really that painful?

I am getting induced tomarrow, and I am so scared. Up until now I was saying, oh my gosh I can't wait i'm miserable! now, I think I could have waited awhile, lol. How did your labor and delivery go? and afterwards what did thay do? This is my first baby, and it just now really sunk in that i'm really doing this!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Its not that bad. Its the contractions that hurt like hell, what I did was tell my nurse that I wanted something to take the edge off of the contractions, but I did not want to be medicated when it was time to push, and they did exactly that. It wasn't THAT bad.
    After you give birth they will give the baby to you, then after a little bit they will give the baby its first bath, and then all of you get to take a nice long nap :) No one told me, but apparently babies sleep for a long time after being born. We slept from 5am until 1pm, it was wonderful.

Then they move you from your delivery room into the room you will be in for the rest of your stay.

If there is anything really specific you want to know, i would go into your hospital today and ask some questions :)

Good Luck!
    -----
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• it wasnt that bad. but they gave me an epidural pretty early. its normal to be scared but you will be fine
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yes. It really is that painful.

Of course, epidurals usually help (not always), but they result in a lot of nerve damage... so be careful with that, too.

The best thing to remember is this:  As SOON as the baby is out -- I'm talking IMMEDIATELY, the pain is gone.  Oh, you're sore for a while for sure.... but it's instant --- pain's gone.

G'luck!

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• evryone gets scared you have all kinds of emotions running through you. you will be fine i had my third fifteen months ago and i was just as nervous with her than i was the first. you will do fine and no pain in the world is going to be remembered once your holding your child for the very first time. good luck and congrats you'll do great.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It's different for evey person. For me, the pitocen made the contractions pretty painful. They were super strong. It's like a severe cramping sensation - a tight, tight wrapping across my entire belly. This breathing excersise helped tremendously: when a contraction starts, breathe in slowly through your nose for four seconds expanding your rib cage, breathe out slowly for a count of six.

My first child came quick: 4 hours
    Second: 5 hours
    Third: 5 hours

When it's time to push, do it like your taking a dump - I know it sounds gross, but that's the muscle you need to use. Don't worry about actual bowel movements. It happens - the doctors see it ALL the time.

Congrats! Hope all goes well! Relax and put your trust in the nurses/doctor. Don't forget the camera! :)
    Anonymous

• I think being induced is more painful if they use pitocin. I have had 5 kids and the first two came naturally. The other three I had inductions. When I had to go on pitocin with the last two it was very painful. My advice is to ask them to break your water bag and bring it on naturally if possible. It will be ok and yes it does hurt. Its worth it though and you pretty much forget about the terrible contractions as soon as you lay eyes on your baby and after getting a bit of rest.
    After delivery theyll clean you and the baby up and make sure everything is ok and you will be able to visit with family and friends, nap or whatever you want.

Answer by gemgem at 12:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I was induced twice and will not agree to it again. Yes I am impatient and my due date based on my lmp is tomorrow. I want to wait for it to happen on its own and do what i can naturally to move things along.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 12:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• its a pain like nothing that you could ever imagine, and nothing that can really be described to you, but its also NOTHING like they show in the movies. its not that rage filled ' i hate everyone' pain. keep people around who you love who will support you through it, and just remember to breath and that it will all be over soon and after a little while you will have a beautiful new baby and you wont remember anything except that moment that you first met him/her. oh and make sure to tell the nurse that you want to get some sleep and to check you & the baby's vitals at the same time. in my experience the nurse kept coming in about ever twenty minuits so i couldnt get any sleep and i finally snapped on day three and told the nurse she had to leave me alone so i could get some sleep and she actually did! good luck! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 12:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I'm not going to lie, childbirth does hurt. Just don't focus on the pain, mind over matter!
    Anonymous

• I had a friend who had a 6lb baby who was induced, was in labor for 2 hours and pushed for 5 minutes and didn't need any pain meds at all. Then there was me. I was in labor for over 24 hours, pushed for 2.5, my baby was face up which made him almost stuck, the doctor had to reach in with both hands to try to turn him aaaannd he was 9.5lbs. That freaking hurt like hell and the epidural did nothing. The epidural medicine follows gravity and I had to be on my side prior to pushing to keep pressure off of the umbilical cord. That made the pain meds go all the way to one side. Hence, I felt every bit of my 9.5lb baby come out as well as the stitches afterward. It all depends on your body and your baby. Everyone is different!

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009