How do I get my kids to stop arguing over everything?

They bicker about everything from toys to tv to who sits where, etc. Help! 3 boys ages 8, 5 and 3.

paulad

Asked by paulad at 10:08 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• It has just began I have no idea how to help other then to say good luck.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 10:52 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• rofl when you find out, let me know!! I did just get a calendar called "Wise Words for Moms" it has questions you ask about their behavior and then what the behavior they need to "put off" is and what behavior they need to "put on". It's nice for pulling out when things get like that. I send them to their seperate corners (literally they have to stand in the corner - one minute per yr old they are) They've had to write letters to one another - appologizing, telling what they're feeling, etc. We try to do "ownership" when it comes to toys - and then try to get the owner to share. I think it's all just part of being siblings. I think it's worse over summer break b/c they're together ALL day. I've had to start forcing them to have quiet times, away from each other. They need it even if they don't know they do (and I need it too!)
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:33 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Oh my gosh, do your kids know my kids? Mine do the same things. If they are saying mean things to eachother, then I make them pinch their tounges. They hate that after a few minutes, and they control how hard they have to grip that tounge. And they cant hold it inside their mouths to do it, so they cant fight very effectively when they do this. If they are physically striking out at eachother, I make them sit on their hands, so they cant do it anymore. This also works with them "flipping the bird". They are getting better about their behavior. It takes time, and consistency with them so they realize that I am going to punish them every time... They dont fight too much in front of me anymore. They do tattle tale a lot, so I make them hold their tounges for that also.... silly kids. Dont they know I am super mom and have a punishment for everything? LOL
    taracv

Answer by taracv at 3:59 AM on Jul. 20, 2008