For those who waited to pierce their child's ears:

How did you know when they were old enough to make that decision? My daughter is 2. She seems to really want them done, but I am unsure if we should do it. I know I would have to keep them clean, which isn't a problem but I am unsure if she can make that decision you know?

What age did your child decide they wanted it done? Is two too young?

celticreverie

Asked by celticreverie at 12:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My girls got their ears pieced when they were three month old. My mom would not allow me to pierce my ears until I was 11 I had to beg her over and over.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• well, i plan on waiting until my daughter is at least 5 to help make that decision.
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My daughter is not that old yet, but I was 7 when I decided I wanted my ears pierced and my parents let me.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You can either do it when the very young under a year or wait until they are old enough to take proper care of them. I personally don't think its a big deal, I know others prefer to wait. I also think a 2 year old would be very aware of them and mess with it too much.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 12:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• both my girls were about 6 months when i did theres and so was i when my mom did mine. my step sisters weren't allowed (by there mom) to have them done until about 12 yrs. and my niece was 7 when she was allowed. IN MY OPINION what girl honestly do you know that doesn't want to have their ears pierced? i did my girls when they were young so i could ABSOLUTELY take care of them and not worry about them playing or tugging on them and they will never remember having to deal with the pain of the piercing and cleaning etc.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 12:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My oldest dd was 6 weeks old and my other dd is almost 4. We havent gotten hers done and she wants them done. I wish I would have done it sooner. I will probably get them done before she starts preschool though. You need to do whats right for you. If shes an agreeable child who can understand not to pull on the ears and let them heal I dont see an issue with it. If not remember she can cause an infection if her hands are dirty and she plays with the peircings.

Answer by gemgem at 12:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well, my daughter is 2 now... but neither she nor my boys have expressed any interest in piercing anything yet.

I'd say 2 is too young to understand it, really. She just sees pretty earrings & wants some --- she doesn't understand that it'll hurt, that it can get infected, that she could be allergic to the studs (which is miserable, let me tell ya!), etc, etc.

I decided to get mine pierced in about 4th grade. Even then, it was one of those "well, everyone else has theirs done" things. The new wore off REAL quick then the scar tissue showed up and my earlobes got lumpy... I hardly wore earrings at all after about 3 mos. THEN, I developed an allergy to the posts --- yes, even the nickel-free ones --- so now I don't wear them at all... just have holes in my ears for nothing.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my little sister got to do it when she was four, she asked my mom if she could get them done and my mom explained to her they we would have to clean them everyday and shed have to wear the same one for what ever ammount of time so it could heal before she could change them, and we explained to her that it hurt a little when you got them done. with all that said she dicided she did want them done and got them peirced. we were lucky enough that there were two ppl there that could pierce so she got both ears done at the same time. i personally am going to wait until my daughter can ask me to get them pierced and as my mother did explain everything to her befor we make any final decisions
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 12:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• She would mess with them Hailey just started messing with them and Lets just say We went to the ER so she doesnt wear them anymore
    frase86

Answer by frase86 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 17. But when I was in band the girl who sat right next to me had slices through each ear lobe. They looked real bad. I asked her what happened, and she told me that when she was little she was playing with a jump robe, and some how it caught both of her earrings and ripped them out. Children are very active, so I figured that I would just wait until she asks but 2? I don't know about 2, I guess it could be ok. But one thing is for sure, you should either do it with a sewing needle, or you should go to a shop with an autoclave, because those guns at the little earring places are nasty. They are filled with people's blood, and tissue, and there is no way to clean that gun. Plus the earrings aren't sharp enough and they shatter the tissue inside the ear lobe.
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 12:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2009