Why can't I like rainbows and not be gay?

First off--I am not a homophobe, so don't even THINK that is what this post is about.

It was raining here. I was with straight friends and gay friends. As we were walking, I saw this really cool umbrella. I happened to make a comment "Oh, cool. I want that umbrella." One of my gay friends stated "Uh, your straight and that's a Gay Pride umbrella."

Seriously? I can't have a rainbow umbrella because I'm straight?

I also have socks that have rainbows on them and I have had people comment about my gay pride socks and asking if I am gay.

I do not get offended, I just answer. But Why can't I just like rainbows?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• You can. Who cares!
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 8:26 AM on Mar. 31, 2012

• sorry but the rainbow has just been a bunch of pretty colors lumped together after it rains long before it became the recognizable symbol of gay pride. In other words - gay people nor straight people have a patten on a rainbow. If you love rainbows and love wearing them then don't let what someone else says or thinks stop you.

Silly things come out of the mouths of silly people no matter straight or gay
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 31, 2012

• It's rediculous...if you like rainbows purchase and use rainbow stuff. I remember when the word gay simply meant happy, joyful, brightly colored, having fun. I find it sad that the meaning has changed. Being that it has, I'm always kind of expecting someone to insist on changing the wording in that traditional christmas song where it says "gay apparell". Oh and if your kids have ever played Webkinz....one of the games called "eager beaver adventure park" is one where you makes words out of the letters supplied, words have to be at least 3 letters. You have to hit the "submit" button to get points for the word....but it will NOT accept the word "gay". I'm sure there are other words it won't accept as well, I just found that interesting. Funny how the meaning of a word can change so drastically.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 8:58 AM on Mar. 31, 2012

• Oh, I do get rainbow stuff. I just don't understand why others don't get the fact that I can like rainbows and NOT be gay.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:59 AM on Mar. 31, 2012

• maybe that one person who made that statement is just a dork.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:20 AM on Mar. 31, 2012

• lol, dullscissors. Rainbows remind me of Rainbow Brite, unicorns, and leprechauns. Unless it is just obvious, I don't think of it as a gay symbol. Wear your rainbow socks and your umbrella!
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 31, 2012

• Buy the umbrella and be proud of it. :-)
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 31, 2012

• You just have to overlook stupid people. I'm sorry, but the gay community does NOT have exclusive rights to Nature's beauty (the rainbow) and those that think only gays can like it, really need to read there Bibles (yes, I went there ... I know odd for me) and remember that God sent the rainbow as a reminder that He would never flood the world again.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:40 AM on Mar. 31, 2012

• My 5 yr old DD loves rainbows & rainbow colored items & she's not gay.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:18 PM on Mar. 31, 2012

• That pisses me off too! If straight people all teamed up and layed claim to the rainbow and used it for a straight pride thing there'd be hell to pay.
    Anonymous