Is a victory without honor is a great loss?

A Texas high school girls basketball team on the winning end of a 100-0 game has a case of blowout remorse.
Now officials from The Covenant School say they are trying to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.
"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," Kyle Queal, the head of the school, said in a statement, adding the forfeit was requested because "a victory without honor is a great loss."
The private Christian school defeated Dallas Academy last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.
A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers -- even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=903780
    Anonymous

• Uhm ok so winning is wrong now? Is this the twilight zone? So they kicked the other teams ass. Who cares? They shouldnt forfeit.

Answer by gemgem at 12:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I understand the point - I mean, they were obviously gonna win by half time, there was no reason to keep going for the 100 points, it was kinda mean, but i don't think that means they should forfeit.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I say a win is a win.
    This brings back the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.... ugggh...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Also, being an athlete, I can see being in the heat of the moment and making an inner team competition about 3 pointers. I see no problem with it.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• So sad people can not be proud of an accomplishment in this day and age. There was a time when doing well was a good thing.
    Anonymous

• Lazy people - read the article....this is the team that was beaten by 100 pts....

"Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas."

Yeah - some victory.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 12:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I read it. (1) create a JV team, not a varsity team. Why set them up for failure, if they have obvious limitations (size, etc). Ya know~ We had a small catholic school in our town that only had a JV team because the talent just wasn't there.

But I also agree with the thrill of the moment inner competition. Teammates going for 3 points to cempete against each other. No problem with it.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The officials should have shortened the game then. I still don't see why these kids should feel bad about winning. We live in a world were those who do well are supposed to feel guilty for that.
    Anonymous

• If they were in a competion with a varsity team it shouldn't matter, to me that is the schools fault for putting them up against each other. Of course the girls were obviously better is there not other schools with whom they could've competed against? I agree they should've been playing JV.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 1:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2009