Can you get a Paternity test before a baby is born??

I have a good friend who is in quite a bad mess. She just found out she is pregnant, but she has been with two men. ~~ I swear she looks for drama, but I don't think she planned on having this much chaos!!
Is there a way to find out who the baby's daddy is without waiting until it's born?? Also, is it possible to do it discretely, without either of them knowing....like a hair sample or something??? ~~ Anyone know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The man being tested has to give his consent to being tested, so no she can not secretly do it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yes, through an amniocentesis (aspiration of fluid through the abdomen).

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Oh, and no....the other parent has to give permission or be ordered by a judge.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 12:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• She can have an amnio test done and they can determine dna that way but its pretty dangerous in some cases so.......... as for doing it without them knowing. I have no idea. I guess she should start calling some dna places and see if she has the babies profile from an amnio and sends in hair samples if they can do it that way.

Answer by gemgem at 12:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• An amnio can determine paternity, but is also highly risky. And you can't do a paternity test without consent.
    Anonymous

• Yes, there are ways to do it before the baby is born, but no you can't do it without them knowing. You can either do an amnio, or there is a new procedure that is called maternal/fetal blood sampling that is harmless to the baby. Just google DNA testing without an amnio or CVS testing. You should find it. I am not sure what website I found it on, but it works. I have two friends that did their DNA testing that way. Good Luck to your friend.
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009