I provide Child Care , How much should I charge ? Sorry this is long..

I have a mom who I provide Child Care for her 2 kids 8 & 2 , the 8 yr old is here 5 days a week from 6:55/7:00 gets on the bus at 8:40 and I get her off at 4:20 , the 2 yr old is here on Wed /Thurs/ Friday's from 6:45 /7:00 until there Mom gets here usually around 5 or 5:20. She pays $180.00 a week . She came to me yesterday her schedule is changing she will work Sun through Thurs. , so which means the kids would get here at 5:15 am and I will no longer have the little girl 8 yr old in the afternoon. I will have them all day on Sun. .. The Mom said I could choose not to keep them on Sun / but my pay would be cut.. I am not sure what to do? Also the lady can't even get here on time at 7 , she is always calling and saying can you meet me outside and help get the kids out of the car. So I am not sure what she is going to do to be at work at 6:55 .. Any Suggestions are appreciated!! Thanks , Ladies

LovingMitri

Asked by LovingMitri at 12:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Join our group:
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/homedaycare
    LOTS of helpful women with wonderful advice!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You should not get a pay cut if you do not watch her children on Sundays. You should actually get paid more. You should charge $20 per child per day at least!!

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 12:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I would be charging seperately for each kid, if I were you.
    Child #1: You have her 1 1/2 hrs in the AM, and about 1 hr in the PM. - 3 days a week = 7.5 hrs/wk
    Child #2: You have her about 10 hours a day - 3 days a week = 30 hrs/wk
    TOTAL = 37.5 hrs (currently almost $5/hr for 2 kids)

It is changing to----
    Child #1: About 3 1/2 hrs - 4 days a week = 14 hrs/wk
    Child #2: I am guessing about 10 hours - 4 days a week = 40 hrs/wk
    TOTAL= 54 hrs ( $5 per hour would be $270)
    *** PLUS - Both kids on Sundays ~ How many hours????

I would charge her MORE for the new schedule, and double-time for Sundays!!!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 12:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have the 2 yr old on wed/ thurs and friday now.. it would be all day Sun . from 5:15 until 3:30 for the both kids.. the little 8 yr old is every day from 6;55/7:00 until 8:40 then she gets off the bus at 4:15 /4:20 until about 5 or 5:20.. Thanks , for the advice ladies.
    LovingMitri

Answer by LovingMitri at 12:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• WOW, that is expensive. My babysitter, GOD loves her and I do too...only charges 2.50 an hour for the first child and an extra dollar an hour for the second child.

I don't think that she should be dictating to you about how much she is paying you. You are the one that needs to set the prices. Babysitting on Sunday? Bless your heart, there is noway...doesn't she have family or someone to watch them? You have children and a family of your own to think about....
    mattandjosmom

Answer by mattandjosmom at 3:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree with mattandjosmom. You need to lay some ground rules. Dang woman you better give yourself a break of you're going to get worn out fast!!! Have at LEAST one day a week dedicated to relaxing with your family and your family only. I keep children as well, but only mon-fri. Decide on your "open-close" hours and stick to them, have an extra charge for early or late arrival. My "hours" are 7 am (earliest comes @ 6:45 and I dont mind) until 6. Most typically work 8-5 so that's how I came up with my hours. Personally I think I'd charge 3/4 or half price for the second child. I also charge daily to simplify (25 a day) unless they stay less than 5 hours and it's not on a regular basis. Look up prices in your area for child care of CraigsList.com because price of childcare has a lot to do w/ location. That should help give you an idea of what to charge. I hope this helps!
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 6:46 PM on Feb. 27, 2009

• Sorry I just looked at your profile and feel like an idiot! We're in the same town.. i forgot! Before this year, I worked full time, and my son has stayed with 4 different in-home daycare providers out here. He also went to Kindercare in Henrico for a month and hated it (we've moved alot the past few years). Kindercare was 173 pr. wk. Out of the 4 in-home daycares out here- I paid 75 pr. wk. for full time, 110 for FT, and 140 for FT. One of them had set hours she'd watch children and has early and late fees (the only one who also had her own young children). She charged us hourly bc our schedule was very unstable but when he went full time it averaged out to about 100-130 per week. I charge 125 per week for FT. 25 x day PT but it has to be consistant. I might be picky, but I have a life too and want to know when my work is over each day. It allows me to enjoy what I do more and makes me better at my job! :-)
    AlleyK

Answer by AlleyK at 7:12 PM on Feb. 27, 2009