Echogenic Focus at 20 Weeks

Ok, I just came from my 20 week u/s. My son looks great, with the exception of an echogenic focus on his heart. I just turned 35 & my AFP came back 1 in 13,000. I chose not to have an amnio done, with my doctor's support.

Has anyone else experienced this? I had my u/s done at a maternal-fetal medicine center & the doctor there said that this recent finding, along with my favorable test results during my 1st & 2nd trimesters does NOT increase my chances for DS. I called my OB & am waiting (patiently) for him to call back. I know I have to be positive, but it's hard right now. I want to get his opinion now as to whether or not I should have an amnio. It wouldn't change the outcome one bit. My son is mine & he will be loved!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If an amnio won't change the outcome, I would avoid it. A lot of times that procedure can put your baby at risk for other issues.
    zackkatiejames

Answer by zackkatiejames at 12:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Honestly, I found information on this and it looks like it is common in 3-5% of normal pregnancies. The information I found said it does not necessarily mean that anything is wrong and that most of the time it goes away during the 2nd or 3rd trimester. I would avoid amnio if possible. However, if you are feeling that it will help you be prepared (which is why I had mine) then you should do it. Talk to the doc about it and see what his thoughts are. They should be able to look at the measurements of the baby's nuccal folds and nasal bones from this US to determine your risk for DS. Then I would go from there. If your previosu NT said 1 in 13,000, then I think you are pretty safe in assuming this has not changed (since anatomy is formed in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy (and NT is done at 13).
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The 1 in 13,000 was from my AFP blood test that was done at 16 weeks. My OB called me & told me it was very common & not to worry. I am going to do just that. There's no point in worrying about something that cannot be changed. I will think positively & trust my OB, like I always have.
    Anonymous

• I am also at 20 weeks and just found out that our baby boy has an echogenic focus in his heart. I am 28 years old and don't have any other markers. We are going to have a 2nd ultrasound to find out more. Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.
    lvnmymommytime

Answer by lvnmymommytime at 7:47 PM on Mar. 12, 2009