My finace' and I won't be married before my child is born. I'm on medicare and I was told by my mother's friend that my child cannot have my future husband's last name. Is this true?

Will my child be able to have my finacee's last name even though I'm on medicare?

ciltheartsmjp

Asked by ciltheartsmjp at 12:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• thats not true, I was in the same situation as you are and my DD has my husbands name, (he was my fiance when she was born) it could be diff. depending on what state you are in tho.
    Anonymous

• Yeah your child can have the fathers last name my daughter has her fathers last name and we are not even engaged. I also at the time had Medicaide no problems in that department. My daughter had medicaide and I had women health as long as you are not married yet there should be no problem but once you marry it depends on both incomes.
    Heaven0802

Answer by Heaven0802 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• There shouldn't be any problem with that at all. The one thing that you might want to ask about though is wether or not he needs to have a paternity test to be on the birth certificate. I've heard that varies from state to state.
    Terrapin7

Answer by Terrapin7 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I've never heard of that.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 12:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You can give your child whatever last name you wish. If you want to give him Obama as his last name, that's your option. She's wrong.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• hahaha. Of course thats not true. My fiance and I weren't married yet either. But she (my daughter) most certainly has his last name. They didn't even ask about it at the hospital. Tell your mom's friend she's nuts :P
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• if he is the father the child can have his last name

Answer by admckenzie at 1:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yes as long as he signs the birth certificate she can have his last name. u might want to check w/ur hospital i know with my 3 boys thier dad had to sign a paternity affidavit saying he was the father in order for him to be on the birth certificate.
    dreamer_8568

Answer by dreamer_8568 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yes.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I'm sorry, yes you can give your child your SOs last name.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 2:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2009