When do you go to the hospital for dehydration?

I am 14 weeks preggo, and I haven't kept anything, including liquids, down for a day and a half. My parents want me to go to the hospital, but I feel silly going just cuz I am thirsty. So when do you know you are needing IV fluids?

zackkatiejames

Asked by zackkatiejames at 12:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm 13 weeks today, and two weeks ago went to the hospital for dehydration. I felt very weak and got to the point where it was a struggle to keep my head up on my own. I suggest calling your doc or the labor/delivery dept at your hospital. When I called, they told me to drink gatorade and eat a protein bar, and if I wasn't feeling stonger in an hour to come in. I went in, had one bag of IV fluid and they discovered that my potassium was low, so they gave me a potassium drink (yuck). The next day I felt so much better, I was mad at myself for waiting so long (two full days). At least call and see what your doc suggests - you'll feel better having their feedback.
    lb304

Answer by lb304 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Not peeing enough, dizzy spells, ...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Have you tried eating popsicles?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Dont go yet. Stay laying down with a humidifier and water. Eventually you will relax and be able to take some in. The stress of the hospital will only make you feel worse. Sip. Tiny sips, And eat saltine cracker. Tiny nibbles while you drink it.
    Anonymous

• when you are dizzy, can't pee, and eyes and mouth are dry. I probably wouldn't worry just yet. Keep trying to get some gatorade into you ore even pedialyte--it tastes salty. Good luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Thanks. I have no probs peeing...it's just dark colored and I have been sipping 7up but that makes me want to puke more. Makes my stomach cramp. But I will keep trying.
    zackkatiejames

Answer by zackkatiejames at 12:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• when you are having little contractions that tighten your whole belly and are a little uncomfortable, but a not normal uncomfortable. You would know what kind of cramps these would be because it would be abnormal,from the usual false contraction we frequently experience throughtout pregnancy and it would keep happeneing, and you wouldnt be able to ignore the occurence of these weird belly spasms your havin.
    courtneynicole1

Answer by courtneynicole1 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Me personally... probably never! I hate hospitals. But have you tried gatorade? Or something odd that you would never drink. I found lukewarm soda calmed my stomach during the first trimester.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 12:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Dark urine is a sign of moderate dehydration. If you get dizzy then you need to either have someone drive you to the ER or call 911. I would say if you're still unable to keep anything down and it's been 48 hours that you should go ahead and go. Your dehydration will put your baby under a lot of stress so it would actually be best if you went NOW (like your parents are telling you) since you're already showing signs of moderate dehydration.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Have you tried drinking ginger ale? Lots of people use it for upset stomach and it's not too bad in taste either. When are you taking your prenatals? Maybe those are the cause of your nausea?

You should let the doctor know. They can give you advice, change your vitamins a little, or prescribe something for the nausea. I had it with 2 of my pregs.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009