Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to help a child with speech and reading?

I have a set of 7 year old twin boys that are in the first grade. One of them I am having a time with. Everyday we go over his homework and reading. He has a problem with saying the words that are used everyday. He also has a speech problem. Some times it is hard for me to understand him. I have tried everything from getting books from the library to getting information of the internet. Does anyone have any sugguesting on how to deal with him and his reading/speech?

Answer Question

Asked by needmommytime at 12:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Focus on the letter sounds rather than their names.

    Use the Dolce list of sight words. Pick a word & read a book to him --- only he has to follow along and read that one word every time you come across it. Nex time, pick the next word and do the same... only he has to read both words when you get to them. Then 3, then 4, and so on. It's geared more towards beginners, but maybe that's where you need to go back to. It's a great site and you can choose your level.

    Encourage him to speak outloud --- ask lots of questions, start conversations with him, etc.. and just make sure he speaks slowly and thinks about his words before he says them.

    It's a long road... but you'll see improvement --- G'luck!

    Answer by Laura1229 at 12:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • Have you had him evaluated for speech therapy? My two are younger, but they've made a tremendous amount of progress since September!

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • My daughter attended a school that specialized in speech in Missouri called United Services maybe look into that also ask at your school. My daughter was severe she didn't speak clearly until she was 5

    Answer by 4kids1970 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • I have twin boys who are four when they were three I noticed they were speech delayed. I called our school districts district office and made an appointment for them to get tested with a speech therapist. Both my boys are in speech to articulate their words they go once a week for 1/2 an hour. Once they start kindergarten, they will be pulled out of class to see the speech therapist until needed. It's a free program and I am so grateful!! You can also request an IEP test for your twins once the IEP test is complete the school makes an educational plan for your child.


    Answer by mommiedear at 1:16 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

  • If he is having speech problems, his school should be able to evaluate him to see if he needs speech services. There are certain ages by which they should develop certain sounds, so even if he can't pronounce certain sounds, he may still have time to develop them. Talk to his teacher about your concerns and see what she says.

    Answer by Sillieguze at 1:28 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.