My baby girl is 5 month's old. Will be 6 months on the 12th of Feb. I am worried because she still does not sleep through the night and always wants her bottle in the wee hours of the morning or wants to be held! PLEASE HELP let me know some remedies for this.

She goes down around 9ish-10. wakes up around 2 or 3 in the morning, sometimes wakes up with spirts of energy and doesnt want to go back to sleep. then goes straight back to sleep when she takes the bottle or I rock her. She has been doing this since birth! I did make the mistake of letting her sleep with me a few times when she was a little older....and she still does or she sleeps in her rocker and doesnt want to go down in her crib, but she will in the day time. i don't get it and im so confused! i give her rice cereal and a bottle around 6ish for dinner...then she has a bath and drinks her bottle a little later around 8ish and goes to sleep 9 or 10 o'clock at night..it all varies. But she does not sleep through the night..and usually gets up around 2 or 3 a.m then goes back to sleep after being rocked or given a bottle..which i feed to her cause she's only 5 months.. then wakes up around 8 or 9 sometimes 5 and sleeps in.

blueside22

Asked by blueside22 at 12:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This isn't unusually abnormal. My daughter didn't sleep through the night until she was a year old. She is still little and will wake up when she's hungrey. If you want to try to stop the feedings to see if she's ready, just rock her or give her the binky when she wakes up. My daughter slept a lot better when she was in the bed with us. Again, I don't think that this is wrong behavior or something that can be changed until she's ready. Welcome to mommyhood!
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 12:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I fed both my kids cereal the day they came home. They would only get it at night around 8 or 9 right after their baths. My kids been sleeping through the night since they were around 2 or 3 months old. I did find when they didn't get the cereal at night they wouldn't sleep because the milk itself was not feeling them up. My daughter was drinking 8 ounces since she was about a month old. Kids are different but try giving the cereal a little later after a warm bath. See if that works.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 12:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If she's taking a feeding, there's nothing to do except feed her.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My daughter is 5 months and has those nights too. I feed her an extra 2 oz or some cereal before bed to get her a little extra fed and she goes down around 10:30. She will usually sleep through the night or if she does wake up I give her a pacifier and she falls right back asleep. She may just be seeking comfort so maybe buy a small fan, my daughter loves the sound of my fan and also loves her pacifier and soft blankie.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i think it all depends on the baby. they kinda make their own schedules. My daughter slept through the night from 2 1/2 months until about 5 1/2 months and then started waking up wanting a bottle and then would sleep until 8 or so. I am sure teething has alot to do with it as well. Has she ever slept through the night?
    Anonymous

• Technically that is through the night. When a baby sleeps a 5 hour stretch it considered through the night.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Your daughter is not old enough to really sleep from the time you put her down to the time you WANT her to wake up without eating. At her age, 5 to 6 hours IS sleeping "through the night". There is also a growth spurt at about 5 to 6 months so she could need that feeding because she's growing again. I know it makes you want to pull your hair out, but she WILL start sleeping longer as she gets older. Every baby is different and their need for midnight feedings will differ as they grow and rest between growth spurts.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Like you have been told above in some of the answers, it is true that 5 or 6 hours is considered sleeping "through the night". We worked very hard as soon as we got home from the hospital to get our daughter on a sleep schedule, and make her comfortable with her crib and simply just that. Ive never had to rock my child to sleep, since 3 weeks of age, once we established a schedule that would work for her and for us, bedtime consists of this and nothing more: Like clock work, She shows signs of tiredness around 730, we do all the pre bed diaper duty, bottle, read a story, and then simply walk her to her crib, kiss her goodnight, place her in her crib, tuck her in, and walk directly out of the room> She loves her bed. Loves bedtime. And she sleeps (and has since 3 weeks of age) straight thru till at least 8AM-normally well past 830AM though.
    courtneynicole1

Answer by courtneynicole1 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Like pretty much everyone else said: It's normal
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• read the book "Baby Wise" I swear by it. It's not very long and My dd was sleeping through the night at 8 weeks, and every friend I have referred it too also has much success getting their babes to sleep through the night.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009