Potty Training Question

My son turned 9 months on the 16th. Amazingly enough, he has decided to use the potty! We tried it today for fun and he used it..for #1 and #2! I know this might not last with him being so young, but in case it does, what suggestions do you have for me to do now? Do I continue with him in the diapers and just put him on the potty after every meal and before and after sleeping? This is probably a long ways away, but when do you try underwear? I feel so weird asking, with him being so young, but hey, if he is willing to do it, I'm gonna take advantage of it ;)

sunshinepraying

Asked by sunshinepraying at 10:21 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Keep the diapers. Put him on the potty first thing in the morning & all of the other times you mentioned. It may have been a fluke but I would encourage it anyway. Though if he can't communicate fairly well he won't be truly potty trained, but fewer diapers to change is a perk & when he can let you know he has to go, it will be a million times easier if he is already used to using it. If he shows no interest & no comprehension consistently for the next few weeks, drop it & try again in a few months. Underwear usually doesn't come until they have a pretty good record of getting to the potty on time.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I would say you need to teach him a way to tell you when he needs to go. Keep up the good work because he may be potty trained very early I would try underwear couldn't hurt be ready for accidents though.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 10:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• hey, Ive heard of earily potty training at 12 months but 9 months, WOW! Thats Great! I say try underwear but like the other person said be ready for accidents. I say to you and him, keep up the good work!
    MsPeaches2210

Answer by MsPeaches2210 at 3:11 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Don't do anything but keep the potty in the bathroom. If he wants to use it, he will, don't force it, don't even suggest it. Keep the diapers.
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 20, 2008