how do i get her to stop biting?? (breastfeeding)

so my five month old (yesterday) started biting me this morning when i was nursing her. she doesn't have any teeth yet, but it still HURTS... how do i get her to stop doing this?? i always told my husband i'd stop if she started to bite, but i don't want to stop... i want to go at least a year... if i can... but i'm a wuss with pain, and it HURTS..

AudlyLuvly

Asked by AudlyLuvly at 12:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• bite her back
    Anonymous

• Take her off the breast, and say, no biting, that hurts mommy. They learn quick when they realize mealtime is over if they bite.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You want to breastfeed for a whole year?
    I wouldnt be able to have a toddler on my chest that old. I think now would be a perfect time to start putting her/him on the bottle.
    just use a breast pump.
    Anonymous

• one year old is not a toddler, but if she is biting she is not eating..remove her from the breast everytime she bites or remove her when she is no longer swallowing.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It is very common to nurse your baby for at least 12 months. In fact, it is recommended. I'm still nursing my almost 18 month old. He bit me once. I think he was playing. He never bit me again. He was old enough at the time that he understood what I was saying. OP, don't let anyone discourage you from continuing to nurse as long as you and your little one want.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Pull her INTO your breast when she bites. She won't suffocate - dont' worry. Then pull her back gently and try again.

It takes time - good luck.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Here's a link to some good info.  When babies attack! (how to stop biting, from the breastfeeding moms group)

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I am a lactation counselor, and I hear this all the time.  Your baby is old enough to understand that some behavior is not acceptable.  Try saying "No, that hurts mommy." You need to say it firmly, not yelling, but you need to make them understand that you mean business. Then, remove them from the breast for a few minutes.
    lilmyksmom

Answer by lilmyksmom at 1:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I wanted to add this, but ran out of room in my first answer.
    Please don't push the baby into your breast when they bite. You would never want breastfeeding to be scary . I think if I couldn't breathe that I would be pretty scared. Also, she may very well be teething at this age. Pay attention to when in the feeding she is biting. If she is waiting til the end, she is probably done eating and has turned her attention to the discomfort in her mouth. Try to pay close attention to when the sucking and swallowing stops, and take her off then. Congrats on trying to go for a year! You are doing a wonderful thing for your baby. Don't worry about all those moms who say you should have stopped by now. The World Health Organization recommends 2 years, and the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends at least 12 months.
    lilmyksmom

Answer by lilmyksmom at 1:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Please don't let anonymous posters or anyone else influence how long you nurse your baby. I was really offended by the anonymous poster's note above that you should start putting your baby on the bottle. I had success following a similar course as the lactation consultant above suggested. I yelped when she bit (immediate reaction), which startled her, and then I would unlatch her and explain that there should be no biting and that it hurt Mommy. It's surprising how much it can hurt even when they have no teeth, isn't it!? Every time she'd bite, I'd take her off. It was important to be consistent.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009