I would like to know what you think about the Vitamin K shot?

I just want to know your opinions on the Vitamin K shot they give babies at birth.....dont you have a natural Vitamin K in your breast milk? Is it really necessary for them to have if your breastfeeding?

jokermom

Asked by jokermom at 10:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not it's not. But to be safe you can order it to be given orally. It will need to be in 3 doses. as a newborn, one and 3-4 weeks and another dose that I can't think of. There have been fatalities with the Vit K injection.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 3:26 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• This is what I found online:

In some countries, injections of Vitamin K are routinely given to newborn babies. Vitamin K is used as prophylactic measure to prevent late-onset haemorrhagic disease (HDN). Since HDN is a relatively rare problem, many parents now choose for their babies not to have such an injection; most pediatricians, however, highly recommend the prophylactic dose for adequate protection.

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I opted out. I personally believe that babies are born with low levels of Vit. K for a reason.

The shot that they give at birth is not just Vit.K(and a high level at that...to the point of it possibly being toxic/causing jaundice) but it also contains other ingredients, incl. preservatives.

If the birth was particularly traumatic(forceps, vacuum), I would consider the oral version.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 1:28 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• The vitamin K shot also promotes blood clotting... newborns aren't born with the "ability" to clot blood very well, which can lead to lots of other problems. But yes, breastfeeding gradually gives the baby vitamin K, but if there is some reason your doctors would think that your baby needs MORE of it, or needs it NOW, then the drops would be the way to go.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Opt out if you want. I can tell you on 3 different occaision last yr in the nursrey at the hospital where I work mothers opted out of the Vit K shot. Three different babies all wound up with profuse bleeding from the umbilical stump and one required a transfusion. You take a risk you can live with.
    Anonymous