Is it against the law to lie about education on an employment application?

My husband has two degrees, but no job. He applied to Wendy's and they said he was over-qualified so I was just wondering if he put down High school only, if it was fraud.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• I dont think its illegal.. and in this case i wouldnt care at all...

Just send an application and let him write that he only has ged or whatever ;)... if they only want dumb people working for them, then i guess he has to pretend being not educated. LOL

The other way around would be not so good though. and def. harder to fake.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• What?!?!? Over-qualified? I didn't know you could be denied a job because of that.

I wouldn't think it's illegal but than again I'm not a lawyer. : )
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 1:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think if he outright LIES by saying he has degrees he doesn't have then it's wrong (not sure if against the law).

I think what he is doing is probably ok because he isn't lying...he's just omitting info, hehe.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• No, I definately would not lie about education. You can fib a little when it comes to jobs though.. say for instance, you work at a place for about two months and decide it's not for you.. you don't have to list that on your resume. I was told you only have to put the pertinent information pertaining to the job for which you are applying. What he could do is say that is applying for a management position at Wendy's... that way he can utilize his education.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I know you could get fired if you get hired for lying on an application. But usually its the reverse..saying you have a degree that you dont have. Also my friend lied about having a felony arrest (answered No to it). Although she was a good employee & never did anything wrong on her job, they had to fire her when they found out because when you sign an application you are stating everything you say is "true and correct".
    Anonymous

• They don't HAVE to hire anyone.

Most of the time you do sign a disclosure that says all the information you've submitted is true - so if he put "NONE" for higher education, that would be wrong. Perhaps he could just leave it blank?

However, if he were asked directly it'd be dumb to lie.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• instead of putting none...he could always put "Not Applicable" (or NA)....it wouldn't apply to that job anyhow, right?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It isnt illegal to lie on an application but it would probably be hard for him to hide he was better educated them the people hes working with. He should try some temp agencies.

Answer by gemgem at 1:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I don't know. We just had to sign up for assistance because I just lost hours at work and he's unemployed. He went to this thing called Work-First which helps with job applications but they won't be able to help him either. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even important to finish my own degree.
    Anonymous

• If your degree is not career specific I would not bother. My husband has a degree in business and will have his MBA after this semester. It helps him in his career. His company is hiring too if people are willing to relocate. Maybe he should put out his resume all over the country and see if he could locate a job somewhere else.

Anonymous