Is there any legit work from home JOBS that focus on typing?

I am a stay at home mother and a full time college student. I have thought about going back to work because I see how hard it is on my husband to provide for the family alone. However, my husband doesn't want me to go back into the workforce just yet because he wants me to focus on my schooling. He knows it is really important to me, and I am on my way to transferring to a very prestige college. The only jobs available around here would make me have to cut down on my classes, and that is what I am trying to stay away from.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any work from home JOBS, not home-based businesses, that offer flexible scheduling. I have tried to sell stuff before, but it does not work for me and I end up losing a lot of money. I have done Avon, Mary Kay, Zija, and more. I don't want anything like that.

I enjoy typing. I was hoping to find something that just focused on typing. I don't have a landline phone, and don't plan on getting one. We can't add an extra bill right now. I really wanted to do legal transcription work since I will be going into law school, but everything requires years of experience and I don't have that yet. I like the idea of data entry, but am having a hard time finding legit jobs in that.

Does anyone know where I could look to find entry level typing work? Thank you all so much.

ryanlee7

Asked by ryanlee7 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 31, 2012 in Money & Work

• Sure... transcription jobs are legit, but you still have to purchase your equipment... That could run in upwards of $300.00 most of the time.  I just blogged about a company that is very legit, but you have to purchase your own foot pedal for $70.00.  Not a biggie, if you want a good job.... You can check it out at Mavi's Home Work.

Now, also, please understand that just because you have to fork out money for a home job, does not make it legit.  Think about how expensive it is for companies to get you set up with their equipment, or the proper equipment.  I have a company here in town that hires for Sprint through a call center, but you still have to get a phone line, proper internet connection and your computer has to meet the specifics.   No getting around that. 

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:19 PM on Mar. 31, 2012

• Google transcription jobs and you'll get a bunch of sites to check out. There are lots of legit ones but also lots of scams. Just remember you should never have to send someone money in order to apply or "get started". There are some legit jobs that may require you to purchase specific office equipment but they will officially hire you before they'd expect you to purchase anything. I applied here http://www.tigerfish.com/employment.html a while back...didn't get it, but it's legit and worth a shot. Good Luck!

Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 3:23 PM on Mar. 31, 2012

• I'm checking both of these out as well. Thanks ladies, and good luck to you OP.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:27 PM on Mar. 31, 2012

• Thank you both. M-avi, I looked through your blog. You can tell that you put a lot of work into it. I am a little leary now about transcription work. I don't really know what a footpetal is or what it is used for. I may be out of my league there. I tend to enjoy doing research to answer questions, or put data in proper categories, or things like online chat. I've tried ChaCha, but spent hours for no pay. I am going to keep looking though. I know that there has to be something out there for me. I was really interested in becoming a court researcher and applied to some places, but I never heard anything back.
    ryanlee7

Comment by ryanlee7 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Mar. 31, 2012

• Do you have a former employer you could work for remotely?
    You can search for jobs that match you skill set & have a telecommute option.
    If you have a computer with high speed internet & Microsoft Office Pro & have at least intermediate MS Office skills, you should be able to find work as a virtual assistant (VA). For more information, go to www.ivaa.org, www.iavoa.com, www.vanetworking.com ..
    Do you have a skill or experience that you can turn into a home based business? I have a friend who makes children's hair accessories in her basement & sells them to boutiques around the Midwest. My husband runs a handyman business from our home. I work from home with two lines of business; I do freelance bookkeeping & business organization (along with small business marketing and medical billing), I also do career & job search coaching. I am in the midst of a grant writing program though Chicago’s community colleges,

Answer by rkoloms at 8:12 PM on Mar. 31, 2012

• It's not steady or great work, but you could put up signs at your college to edit/type students papers. I made great money in college doing it.

Answer by missanc at 7:14 PM on Apr. 2, 2012

• Leapforce or lionbridge. I tried getting in with them but they are difficult.
    ZanderandBella

Answer by ZanderandBella at 11:13 AM on Apr. 3, 2012

• thanks everyone. I got accepted to do postloop. I'm enjoying, but still would like to find something to make a little more.

Missanc: I thought about that, but my school has some really strict policies. If you are even caught typing someone's paper (even if you didn't write it) you will be wrote up and it will follow you. They do editing for free in the tutor lab, so nobody is paying for that. It just wasn't worth risking it. Someone else did something like that, she typed the papers but didn't write them, now she can't get into the school she wants because of getting wrote up.

ZanderandBella: I will check those sites out. I have never heard of them.
    ryanlee7

Comment by ryanlee7 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Apr. 3, 2012