Christian Baptism for a baby

I think I should wait to baptise my daughter until she can choose it herself. Is that a bad idea or the "wrong" way of doing things?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 1:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That's what I'm doing with the 3 of my children. The Bible says children already have a place with Him. I want it to be their choice.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 1:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think that is the right way.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I believe that's the right way also. Usually from about age 8 and up children are able to make decisions for themselves. I'm LDS and children in my religion usually get baptized at age 8, but they are definitley given the choice in the matter. Children are generally going to do what they think you want them to do anyway, but if you wait until they can accept or refuse than at least they will know they had a choice in the matter.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I would have her dedicated rather than baptized. You can check with the church you attend about a baby dedication. Which is basically saying you will raise her up teaching her about the Lord. Then when she is older and can make the decision for Christ herself she can be baptized.
    Anonymous

• My mom let my brother and I choose, and my 3 children also have their own choice. Why baptize a child who has no idea what or why.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It depends on what you believe baptism is. I believe baptism is something that God does for us not something we do for God.  The Bible tells us that baptism washes original sin, gives sanctifying grace, welcomes us into the New Covenant.  Why wouldn't I want that for my child?  esus himself said "let the little children come to me".

In Col. 2:11–12, Paul indicates that baptism had replaced circumcision which was done on infants.  In Acts Peter says "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is to you and to your children" (Acts 2:38–39).  And in Matt. 28:19 Christ commanded us to baptize all nations - there was no age limitation on it.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• we had our first two dedicated which means we are dedicated to raising our children in a christian home and to God, and when the time is right and they choose to accept Jesus as their savior then they can choose to be baptized when they have complete understanding of what it means
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 9:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We did not have either of our sons baptized because we feel it doesn't mean anything unless the person being baptized wants it and can understand it.  My MIL completely disagrees and was thoroughly ticked when I told her that my living son would not have a christening/infant baptism.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 10:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009