homeschool (kinda)

is it against the law to say you are homeschooling your children under 16 and not really teach them anything and lat them just get jobs or sit at home? What do you think about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I homeschool my son who is 16 and it isnt the same as say when they are 5 or something. I dont think a child would be capable of holding a job worth anything if they werent being taught at home. They wouldnt know how to read or do math right>? Not every home school schedule or curriculum is the same so id rather not judge someone based on a what if.

Answer by gemgem at 1:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I can only speak for what I know in a given situation......

My cousin is homeschooling her 7 kids. No, they aren't 16, but oldest is.

She is behind with them. If they don't catch up by the end of the "school year" the kids will be forced to attend public school next year.

A friend of hers is also homeschooling and the kids have already been forced back to public school because she fell too far behind with their schooling.....

(this is in Ohio..but could be a district specific thing, I don't know)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Every state has it's own set of rules & laws regarding homeschooling.

You can look into the laws for whatever state this is occuring in at http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

There are lots of ways to homeschool. I don't know the specifics of this particular household you're referring to... so I can't really render an opinion ---- but be aware that just because someone isn't teaching using the same tools as a public school, doesn't necessarily mean there isn't learning going on.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009