Sha na na na sha na na na hey hey hey good bye...

I am all for censorship when it comes to certain ideas and images but I feel that it is getting a little ridiculous. Our local news and sometimes even our world news is being watered down and we have 5 sec. time delays on live television. Everyone has to constantly watch for content on television b/c of F.C.C. guide lines and I just wonder where the lines between freedom of speech and freedom of the press are drawn before censorship is put into place? Isn't it the job of the parent to supervise content? For a right that has been so important in our history it seems as if that right may not have a bright future. How many would be willing to say "good bye" to this right? I understand that there is offensive material but wouldn't a warning suffice? Why do peoples voices have to be stifled?

micrespo

Asked by micrespo at 1:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It all stems from people not wanting to take personal responsibility, tho. If you want someone else to take all the blame, (the government), then they are going to make all the rules.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I dont see that. People are still saying what they want. Just because they beep out or dont show everything on TV doesnt take your right to talk from you. It just means you wont get to say whatever you want on TV because there are guidelines. And thats a good thing.

Answer by gemgem at 1:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I'm not talking about offensive shows like "Family Guy" or "South Park." I am talking about the news. It wasn't censored when it was happening to the people involved and if it is the late news then there should be no fear that children will be exposed. Also, if there is a warning people who are squeamish or do not like certain subject content can choose not to watch. As I said in certain situations it makes sense but in others, not so much.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I don't think the news should be censored. I think that the more adult content could wait till the 11 o'clock edition. . .
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yeah but your comment or question was it taking away your or others rights to speak. It isnt. You and others can still speak. It just isnt making it on TV. Having your words aired on TV IS NOT a right its up to the cable company news etc to decide what they want on there or not. See what Im saying? So ppl can still say as they want but just because it doesnt make it on TV doesnt violate their right to say it. And yea some things can be offensive to others so say whatever we want is fine, but that doesnt give us the right to offend other people or open cable companies up to lawsuits right? Laws and rules are there for a reason.

Answer by gemgem at 1:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I apologize gemgem. I agree I should have been more clear. I meant it to be more for the press and I gave a poorly worded example...I apologize. I meant it as in what if censorship spread? I also was trying to point out that if there were warnings people should feel better b/c they would have fair warning. I don't feel the reporters have to be stifled in their reporting.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I would want stronger guidelines and censorship when it comes to television. Evidently there aren't that many parents these days willing to censor their own viewing habits at home, and sometimes watch alot of shows with the family that were never intended to be watched by children.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I agree with censoring of t.v. during "kid friendly" hours. The only thing that I would truly want less censorship on is the news.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 1:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009