does any one know about government grants?

I have been looking to apply for grants, but every site asks for money! Why should I have to pay to apply for a government grant it should be free. But they say it's for there paralegels to do there thing. Is there a government site where I could just apply for a grant to start a haz mat clean up business? I just don't want to get scamed.

Panopel

Asked by Panopel at 1:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• I found this article last week. It's worth checking out. http://www.womensnet.net/Amber-Grants/

WomensNet.net is here to help you succeed in starting, building and running a successful business, online or off! It all began many years ago when WomensNet.net launched the Amber Grants for Women, in memory of the founder's younger sister, Amber. She was the epitome of the woman entrepreneur - strong, resourceful and always willing to help others - and there is no doubt in my mind that she would have been very successful - if she had only had the chance through the Amber Grants for Women we try to give others the chance she never had.
    Whether you are an experienced woman entrepreneur, a new business owner, or somewhere in between - you will find lots of helpful resources here, from grants for women business owners to detailed practical help with marketing, advertising, accounting ..etc.
    GoGreenMom68

Answer by GoGreenMom68 at 10:46 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Have you tried libraryofcongress.gov? The have answers to all kinds of questions like this.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You can look for small business loans/grants through the Small Business Administration's website: http://www.sba.gov/. They also have local offices you can contact for help.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I found out they don't really have grants to start a business!
    Panopel

Answer by Panopel at 7:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009