Work outside of home mommies (daycare question, repost)

Do you prefer home daycare or a daycare center? Why?

I prefer a center because I feel that the environment is more structured. They're more apt to follow a schedule. Also, I feel that they are more in control of who is around the children. What are your thoughts?

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 1:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am having the same problem...Daycare Centers are more structured and safer I would think because there is more than one person and they are regulated and until my child is old enough to speak forher self I think that is the way I am going. But on the other-hand Private Daycare is more of a one on one conection with your child instead of having a bunch of kids running around. I think they get closer to your child and actually love them instead of just working for them. Bottom line I think if you KNOW someone or can be refered to someone you trust Private home childcare is def. better but if not I think Center is safer. You just cant trust stangers with your children.
    bellasmommy09

Answer by bellasmommy09 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• somewhat agree, all depends on how good the center is... i did daycare at first (goddard school ~ super high end and expensive) but i didnt love all his teachers and i didnt like that not one person was with him all day so when i picked him up the person with him could not tell me how his day was all day..
    then i did an in home sitter, she was so nice and he loved her, she was like a mom to him but i questioned some things, like is she really doing all she says with him, how long does she let kids cio... i picked him up a few times to him playing with kids in the backyard (fenced) without her supervision, i told her i didnt really wanna pay her to have him outta her sight, that was the point of her sitting was to watch him all the time...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• now he is 3, in a very structured montessori preschool class that meets for 3 hour classes. then they have an after care program where he gets to free play with the classmates for 30 min until i get there from work, i like that the best, i can go through his portfolio and see the curriculum being taught and his growth, and i know she is teaching him to listen, he sometimes doesnt love it because it is meant to be work not play but i value that and he gets his free play at the end of the day...
    do whatever you think is best for your child at thier level, dont be afraid to try new things and change, i am so glad to have found my sons school and wouldnt have if i would have stuck with the orginal daycare... it wouldnt be terrible but it wouldnt have been as good either!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We have tried two in-home daycares. One was a total disaster - she had quite a few special needs children and I think she had TOO many children considering the extra care some required and my daughter cried all day and ended up getting hurt by one of the kids. The other one was my absolute favorite and my kids would still be there if we hadn't moved. Since then we have had individuals watch our kids (always a disaster for us) and we've used a few daycares (all but one were very very good). Right now they are in a very small daycare and I'm very happy with it. It's kind of the best of both worlds... big enough to separate the kids into groups to have structure and small enough that the kids get a lot of personal attention by people who are very dedicated to what they do.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It depends on what resources I have available. If i have a family member or trusted close friend, then i would rather have them watch my kiddos because i feel its more like being at home with me would be. But, if i didn't have that option then i would rather do a center because i feel that they are better regulated and the staff is screened.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009