What's the whole deal with the hole in a baby's gut?

I keep hearing it on here, but when I asked my Dr. he laughed and said he's never heard of that. He explained what he thought it would refer to, but has never heard that term. Same thing happened when I asked friends I know who are Dr.s so it's obviously not a "medical" thing.

Please don't refer me to kellymom.com, tell me in your own words what the hole in the gut is and anything else you know about it.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've never heard of it. hmm..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It's not really a hole. It is just that the gut is still immature (as are a lot of things in newborn) and the spacees in between the cells are spaced farther apart.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• http://www.googobits.com/articles/2885-introducing-solid-foods-to-your-baby.html
    This uses info from the WHO and UNICEF backing it up, so don't just think breastfeeding moms are making it up.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2009