poop eating

My puppy is eating his poop how do i make him stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pets

• IMO( in my opinion) it's what you are feeding him. My vet once told me that they can smell the undigested food in their poop and they think they should eat it cause it smells like their food. Maybe try another food and see if that helps. Make sure you scoop each time he goes out and get rid of it. so he can't. Lot's of dogs do this and it is mostly due to not digesting all their food properly.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• doglovergranny is right about the undigested food. Also you can feed your dog pineapple chunks. It makes their poop taste bitter and they won't want to eat it anymore. I heard about it on animal planet show, tried it, and it WORKED!
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 7:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I don't know.I had one dog that ate dodo with corn in it one time. I was so shocked it was so gross! i can't understand it.
    Anonymous

• **Sick after reading about the corn.**
    Here's something else gross! My dog eats my kids' poop, if she finds a diaper, or if my oldest poops in her potty and I don't know it's there to clean it up. Maybe I should give them pinapple.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• Some breeds tend to do that, my dog used to do that when she was a puppie. After a few times of saying no and pulling her away she stopped
    krubalc

Answer by krubalc at 4:43 AM on Jan. 24, 2009

• you can get something called Forbid powder from your vet (it's not really a prescription, but i've never seen it anywhere else) and sprinkle it on his food. or, you can buy MSG straight and put it in his food, but you'd have to ask your vet about dosages on that too.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• You can also sprinkle the food with ACCENT that makes the poop taste bad.
    dancer33

Answer by dancer33 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 25, 2009

• i've been told to mix garlic in the dog's food so that when it comes out, they will not eat it. Give it a whirl. My vet told me the reason dogs will eat poop is that there is unprocessed protein in it. The other alternative to be there with the shovel so there is nothing to eat.
    Anonymous