? about first duty station

My husband is finishing up AIT, his orders say to report to his duty station feb. 20th. IS this the date the whole family shows up moving truck and all or will he come back to move us.........I would appreciate anyone's help that knows...

momof3zs123

Asked by momof3zs123 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Travel

• He has to be there by that date it could be a while befor you and your kids if you have any show up. He will have to go down and do all the paper work for housing and what not plus if your planing on living on post you may have to be on a waiting list if your not then he has to find a place. then line up the moving trucks and what not. Good luck and if you have any questions you can email me.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• we just went through this back in may. my husband came home after AIT and then we moved as a family. the date they gave is probably the date that you need to be at your first station. What branch is your husband in? where is your first station? we moved to ours and then got our house the monday after we got here.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• We've always moved as a family. They will have you call the temporary lodging there (the hotel on base) as soon as you know the exact date you will be getting there. They will put your family in the hotel until you get a house. The longest we've spent in a hotel was one month while waiting on base housing. You can schedule for TMO to come pick up your stuff and then once you get a house they will deliver everything. Anything you will need like extra clothes and such, if you are driving to your station then you can just rent a UHAUL trailer and carry all your essentials in it, or you could just purchase a car-top luggage carrier if you don't have a whole lot. Remember you won't need much til you do get a house. But yes, we have always moved as a family, never has my hubby gone somewhere first. On that date, or even before normally, he and the family can report to the base.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You can also apply for base housing 1 month prior to arriving at the base so your name is already on the list when you get there. Where is your first assignment? What branch is he in? He can call the housing office on the base to see what he needs to do to get you guys on the housing list if you want to live on base. The government will pay you for 10 days in a hotel, and then they will start giving you housing allowance, which will allow you to continue to stay in a hotel until you get a house on base. They don't expect you to wait somewhere else while your husband comes and gets everything set up. Also before you move, they will have scheduled pick up of your household items then once you get a house you just let TMO know and they will schedule delivery of your items. My hubby is Air Force, and we have moved to four different bases, so we know the routine!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• He is Army. We are going to Ft. Hood. Luckily I got in touch with a very helpful person in housing and I got everything squared away and now on the waiting list. Can you tell me how it works if we do a dity move? I just have so many questions, and its hard to get answers from anybody. Thank you all for your help.
    momof3zs123

Answer by momof3zs123 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• No problem :-) I enjoy helping new military families. Usually for a DITY move, you talk to TMO or PTO (or whatever they are called with the Army) . They give you forms to sign where you will estimate the weight of your household goods (estimate 500 lb for a smaller room, 1000 lb for a larger room on average), and they will ask for a copy of your orders. Once they get that signed paperwork filed, they can give you an advance payment based on your estimated weight and per diem pay because they pay you per day of travel for mileage, food, gas, and lodging as well as the rental truck you use. You will weigh the truck empty and then full. Keep all weight tickets because they are necessary to file and get the proper payment for your exact weight.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:11 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• After you get to the base, you can put all your stuff into temporary storage until you get a house, and they will reimburse you for the storage. This website has all the information you need on the proper way to do a DITY move.

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=Relocation_DITY_Procedure.htm

If no one has told you, www.military.com is a great website to go to with any questions you may have related to military life. They have the current pay charts and everything on there too. If you have any other questions let me know.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• By the way, if you do a DITY move you most often make a good bit of money on it. We've always profited at least $1000 after all our expenses off a DITY move.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:19 PM on Jan. 24, 2009