What age is acceptable?

What age is acceptable for you to let your kid roam around the house unattended while you take a quick shower? Is 2.5 years old too young? Is it ok to leave him in his room with the door shut for 15 minutes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• What you said. Is OK I think.

Answer by louise2 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I dont leave mine alone to shower until around 4 LOL.

Answer by gemgem at 1:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It depends on the kid, on the room, on the child proofing, etc.....

My oldest..sure. I left him in a room at that age.
    My second...he was with the older boy who knew how to come get me..no problem.
    My youngest...no way in hell will I leave that kid in a room by himself or with his brothers!!! LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• What do you do with them then? Do you put them in the shower with you? I just want a peaceful shower!! He doesn't take naps either, and I have to be at work this evening!
    Anonymous

• Probably depends on the kid. If you have a secure house setup (baby gates, locks etc) then I don't see it being too big a deal. I prefer to keep the bathroom door open, so that way if he needs me he can get to me (or sometimes he likes to hang out in there while i'm showering) and i usually try and keep those showers as short as i can. I don't really know about shutting him in the room though...i can't hear very well in the shower, but with the bathroom door open and the playroom door open, i feel better knowing that i'd hear a big "uh-oh, trouble" noise. But by 2 they can usually be distracted by the tv or a toy long enough for a quick shower.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• And, my 2 yr old LOVES to shower with me. So, even if it may not be as peaceful as you want, you can get clean for work without worry.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I mean if u guys need to go somewhere I would bring him in the bathroom with me and shut the door make sure you have a lock on the toliet and they should be fine sing songs while in there, play peek a boo with the curtain I know he's older but they still love to play or play I spy with things in the bathroom... now if u just wanna take a shower cuz ur home and want to refresh I would wait til nap time.
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 2:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• i just plop DD down in front of Dora or another show that keeps her interest and hop in the shower w/ the door open. I started doing that when she was about 2 to 2.5 ish
    lionslambs

Answer by lionslambs at 2:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• well i always let the door to the restroom open while i take a shower my son is 2 and he just sits in front of the door or he plays with his toys in my closet its big and i call him just 2 make sure he is okay then he comes and says mom and am like okay go play so thats how we do it but most of the time my husband is there
    Anonymous

• for me personally, i wouldnt do it with my 2 1/2 yr old because she's still in that stage of getting into Everything..but i would with my 3 yr old. she stays put pretty well.. i guess if you think your kid will stay where you tell him, then it should be ok. i personally wouldnt though if your 2 yr old is anything like mine.lol
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009