Maybe a weird question... about poop

Im a mom of two so maybe I should know this, but Ive never experienced this before. My 12mo sons poop has a very foul smell to it almost fishy like. I know poop smells and all but this has a distinct smell. He always eats the same kind of things and has never had this before. It started last night he had diareah twice then it was just regular BM ,but that same smell. I dont know if this is nothing to be concerend about or not... Im just curious if any of you have experienced this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh yeah i have! its the food. lol
    Tmehiar

Answer by Tmehiar at 2:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Is it kind of very strong sickenly sweet? Just the nastiest thing you've ever smelled? Is it yellowish?

It might be the start of rotavirus.

Otherwise...he may have just been a little "backed up" and cleaned out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Its the stinkiest thing Ive ever smelled and it stays in the room lingers after diaper changes its not yellow its still pretty runny and its very light brown. Its bad ladys I just feel like its odd because it has the exact same smell!!!
    Anonymous

• Otherwise he seems alright yeaterday he didnt eat very well and he nursed more ,but today hes nused as usual and has eaten every meal so far. Im wondering if I would look like a nut if i called his doctor LOL.
    Anonymous

• Your a concerned mother.I'd ask the doctor.It may be nothing serious and you'll have piece of mind!
    southpawshelia

Answer by southpawshelia at 4:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Cut out anything that comes in a bag or box and just let him eat fruits and veggies, drinking water and see if it helps. Write down everything he eats, and how the poops appear, in a journal then share with doc.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 4:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sounds like maybe a stomach virus.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 4:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sounds like a rotavirus. DD had one at that age. Doc identified it by smell (I had just changed her diaper before the doc walked in).
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• if my kids get dairy their poop gets like that. i limit it as much as possible
    learae

Answer by learae at 8:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• (Continued) I just wanted to let everyone know that hes been vomiting now so i think it is a virus hubby said his poop was yellow earlier. Hubbys home sick him and my oldest have been throwing up so deff. a stomache bug. I have afever so we are having a great time!!!LOL... I picked up some pedialight been trying to make sure he gets enough fluids hes not eating much for him but hes nursing alot more so I hope they all get better soon: ( Thankyou ladys.
    Anonymous