How do I tell my bf of 15 years that she needs to keep her house clean if she wants me to cont. watching her kids?

I know the first thing you'll think is "what a bitch!" but without exageration her house is disgusting!Her kids throw garbage on the floor, her dogs drag garbage out of the garbage can, and her husband shoves garbage in the sofa. All of the previous are food included. I honestly can't believe there isn't a bug problem. Again seriously no exaggeration. My daughter caught impentigo from playing with her daughters stuffed animals! I have been cleaning her house and making sure everything is disinfected and as sanitary as I can, and I will not have to watch them for a day and come back the following day and the house is trashed again! Now I know it's hard to break bad habits, but if someone is cleaning your house for you don't you think it would be a common courtesy to not let your children and husband trash it again. She was here ALL DAY and did nothing! What do I do!!!

clueless1972

Asked by clueless1972 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• if its really that gross i wouldnt be going over there and i would just sit her down and say look your house is nasty i love you but something has to change or i wont be coming over. You cant be putting your kids health at risk for her.
    Anonymous

• Does she pay you to clean her house for her?
    Does she pay you to watch her kid?

Answer by louise2 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I do that with my adult children and the next time I go over it's trashed. I even get yelled at for cleaning up. Some ppl are comfortable in clutter. Watch the kids at your place or tell her you won't do it. You are in control of your life. You make decisions for yourself. Decide if you want to continue like that or not. I chose to stop cleaning and don't babysit anymore unless it's an emergency. If I'm not appreciated then I won't continue.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If you are willing to give it up, just tell her you can't watch the kids anymore because it's more than you signed on for with the house cleaning responsibility on top of it. If she says don't worry about the house just say it's not something you can't worry about. You aren't comfortable there unless you clean also. You can make it sound like you are a neat freak instead of her being a slob. If she'll pay you extra to clean, think about that as an option. Do not expect her to start cleaining for you. It isn't likely and even if she does, she will have more than she bargained for. I would resent cleaning my house for my babysitter. You do have valid point but you are technically working for her. If you aren't being paid then just let her know ya can't take it no more!
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 3:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• She does pay me to watch the kids. I have to be at her house because the kids are in school. But thanks happi-ladi I think I might offer some assistance in keeping it clean for extra. (If she agrees to make an effort to keep it clean.)
    clueless1972

Answer by clueless1972 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 26, 2009