Hey to everyone who answered my question about my 5 month old not sleeping through the night.

Thank you very much for all the great answers, I really appreciate it.
I also have some other thoughts and questions.
She usually sleeps with me and seems really attatched...always always wants to be with mommy it seems. I really want to wean her off thought and it never works im afraid she will never sleep on her own. how do i get her to sleep on her on in her crib? sometimes it happens in the daytime but rarely rarely at nighttime, pretty much never.Also she does not take binkies whatsoever, i dunno why but she hates them. so that will not do. any suggestions, on sleepin on her own?

blueside22

Asked by blueside22 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's young enough that it shouldn't take long to get her to sleep in her own room. Follow your normal bedtime routine, and when she cries, go in to rub her back for a couple seconds, say "I love you" if it makes you feel better, then leave. If she still cries, wait 5 minutes, and do the same. If she still cries, wait 10 minutes, then 15, etc. It'll break your heart into a thousand tiny pieces, but it should only take 2 or 3 nights, and you'll both sleep better in the end. We waited until my oldest was over a year, and it took a bit longer! Good luck!
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yes you can break that. Put your baby down. Dont ever sleep with your baby. It doesnt take long for them to realize how nice it is sleeping close to mommy in a big warm bed, and before ya know it they "refuse" to sleep any other way.You have to teach your baby to love its crib and love going to sleep in it. They shouldnt be scared of it. And I know it sounds harsh, but your bed is not the baby's bed so teach her that....? You cant say your "baby wont let me" or "she refuses"....I dont get that, you are the adult, you make the rules, no ifs ands or butts, so stop giving in, stick to your guns and show your child you mean business.
    courtneynicole1

Answer by courtneynicole1 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have a girlfriend, her baby is 11 months old and compared to my independent 1 year old, her 11 month old is constantly being held, whiney ALL day long, and just behaves like a 6 month old. does..and babysitting for her the other day I was blown away because I have no idea how she does anything but cater to her almost 1 year old baby that behaves like a newborn. And then I realized that everytime I spend time with my friend and her daughter she is ALWAYS holding the baby. The baby doesnt know how to entertain itself, or be independent at all..and she is a demanding, high maintanence, spoiled, whiney, fickle pickle of a baby. By catering to how they want things done ( all because we dont want to hear them cry and make them upset...) we only enable and allow them to make the calls. DO u blame babies for taking advantage of us moms? I dont.
    courtneynicole1

Answer by courtneynicole1 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You just need to do it. Even if the child cries, leave her alone and let her cry. As long as she is safe, their is nothing wrong with a child crying themselves to sleep. Make sure the the room isnt too hot or cold and is comfortable. It is also very dangerous for a baby to sleep with its parents. You can roll over on the child and not know it. Be very careful when doing this.

You could maybe soothe your child in her room before she goes to bed. Rocking her to sleep, bathing her then playing with your child in its room could possibly help
    MizzThom

Answer by MizzThom at 2:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• rocking to sleep is just another luxury that isnt necessary that the baby is going to want every night in order to go to bed.....sounds like bedtime is already an issue as it is. A few minutes of cuddle time is always great, but rocking her to sleep could be a lil risky....
    courtneynicole1

Answer by courtneynicole1 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• there's nothing wrong with a baby wanting to sleep with it's parents. it's actually alot easier on both parties. there's no such thing as a child who never sleeps on their own. attachment is ok. they are after all our kids. don't stress this. the first year goes by too fast to worry about something as petty as getting your kid to sleep away from you. my 15mos old sleeps with me cause she's happy with me & i'm happy with her. no need for an expensive crib or stumbling out of bed when she needs me. & no stress disorders or brain damage from making her cry it out.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• OK, also when she is about to take her nap in the daytime, could I still put her to sleep while awake? but sleep and rubbing eyes.
    she is in the room as we speak, and she was sleeping..her diaper is dry...she has been fed and burped...it's not hold nor cold in there and she's dressed just right. everything is normal in there right now, same as always. and right now she is blareing..and when i say blareing i mean crying so loud. i live in a small apartment complex i feel bad when everyone hears that, i know they know it's a baby..but it sounds like i'm murdering her. it also breaks my heart..i try this alot. but how long should i let her cry for? i know i'm "mom" but i'm also very compassionate and love her sooooo much..it's not as much spoiling as more so loveing. I don't blame her by any means to act this way she is a 5month old baby.
    blueside22

Answer by blueside22 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I have a five month old baby boy, and I am not sure (and he is my second baby) if I could let him cry it out just yet....are you on demand bfing? See I have the opposite problem. Baby boy sleeps perfect in his crib at night, but won't during the day! He wants to be asleep on me and I usually can not get him laid down longer than 20-40mins sometimes just once a day. Good luck, just remember they are only THIS little once, and this will pass, just like everything else.....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You're absolutely right that it's not your baby's fault! Or yours either, for that matter. Some people choose to sleep with their babies, others don't. For me, personally, I sleep so much better without having to worry about rolling over onto the little one, or my husband (who is a very heavy sleeper) doing so. I love my kids with all my heart & soul, but night-time is my time (unless they are sick or teething or have a bad dream). If you want her in her own crib, it really won't take long at 5 months. And yes, put her to sleep awake. My first was rocked to sleep every nap and every night and to this day she is a light sleeper. My other two, well I just didn't have time to rock them, and they're both excellent sleepers!
    flmom321

Answer by flmom321 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009