How DO I get my 2 year old to sleep before 11:30 pm

My 2 year old is off of his schedule for the past month he has been staying awake til 11:30 and even 1 am, as well as sleeping with us. He refuses to sleep and daycare says he only naps for an hour. We want our bed and our sleep back. What do we do?

mareksmom529

Asked by mareksmom529 at 5:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep to a set schedule and don't give in. Lay him down at 8pm or so every night...eventually he will adjust to the new routine and he will do just fine.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Yep, I'll have to agree to that, keep to a schedule and it sounds like he's tired so that's not really the problem. Try a regular bedtime routine, also. Personally, whenever I would give my daughter a bath, brush her teeth and read to her, she'd go to sleep a little quicker.
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 5:07 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Start early with getting him ready for bed with things like bath time..story time and jammies....turn off all tvs/lights (I know its kinda hard with it being day light longer)...sometimes for my four year old it helps to have quiet activities going on before bed time..ween him from sleeping with you in the bed....gradually adjust him to sleeping in his own bed again...its a slow process but take your time and be consistent....
    thetrivetts

Answer by thetrivetts at 5:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i have no clue! my daughter has been doing that since i started working. since i started leaving her with grandma all day while i work, she doesn't go to bed until about 11:30 or 12. it sux but gott get use to it i guess
    casey940

Answer by casey940 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I had the same problem. What i did was stick to a routine every night. We have dinner and then bathtime. then he get's to relax for a while with mom. sometimes we do tickle wars. Then he tells daddy goodnight. i lay in bed with him and read him "goodnight moon" sing 2 songs. sometimes he likes to tell me a story he made up. or tell me about his day. Then i kiss him and tell him good night. and leave the room. I tell him to stay in bed. For the most part he does. It's not going to be an over night fix. It takes a while.. Good Luck!!
    Doorslover29811

Answer by Doorslover29811 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have to agree routine is the key, toddlers need and depend on structure. It sounds like grandma or daycare may not be enforcing a nap time. My son NEEDS a nap, with out nap time he gets so over stimulated and WON"T go to bed at bedtime. He tried to cut nap time out a few months back. After a couple of days and evenings of constant struggles. I started nap time back up. Now he goes down for 1-2 hours in the late morning 11-12 and he is usually back up about 1:30-2:30. We play make dinner, play again then bath time (with J&J Lavender Sleepytime Bath), lotion and jammies some quite time and we try to get him down between 8:30-9. Good luck :)
    NorthCaliMama

Answer by NorthCaliMama at 5:57 PM on Jun. 19, 2008