How do you Meditate?

I am trying to start meditating. I'm completely new at it and was just curious about how other people do their meditation. Thanks in advance!

StephAnne04

Asked by StephAnne04 at 2:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You mean like a formal routine for meditation based on religious/philosophical dictates?
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 2:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I prop myself up in bed, light some candles, light some incense, turn on some quiet relaxing music (enya type stuff), and just clear my mind =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Ive been told that the best place to start is your breath. Focus on it, follow and listen to it. Even if you are up and walking around focus on it and that will help and is meditation in and of itself.

BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Oh. My husband actually just went to this Buddhist meeting thing with his friend, and he said when they meditated they sat there for 20 minutes in silence, counting their breathes and trying to think of nothing at all.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Usually I just get comfortable in a chair, one with something I can lay my head back on. I don't like laying down because then I'm more likely to fall asleep. lol. Not that that's bad but I want to be "paying attention".
    Sometimes I light a candle but that's not necessary. Sometimes I listen to music but that's not necessary either. If there's something you want help with, you can voice that first. Then I ALWAYS ask to be protected by The White Light of The Holy Spirit, I invite my angels and God to come to me. Close my eyes, place my hands upward on my thighs as a sign of receiving grace, and then just take a few deep cleansing breaths. Whenever you feel your mind wandering, just refocus on your breath again. And that's it. Just let go and let God.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 3:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• here, I'll give you a simple technique. First, find a comfortable chair. If you can sit with your legs crossed for a long time, do this on a comfy mat or pillow. Otherwise find a chair, like a kitchen table chair. One that you can sit at the edge of w/ your feet flat on the floor & your back straight. Close your eyes & gaze towards your "third eye" . But don't strain your eyes keep them loose & stare in between your eyebrows, But again, DONT STRAIN YOUR EYES. Just do your best. Focus on your breath. Notice it coming in & out your nose & notice your belly & chest rise & fall with every breath. When your ready (you can breath like this as long as you want) begin to feel yourself expand. SLOWLY expand (and yes use visualizations if you can) yourself out into the room until you are the size of the room. continued.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Then keep expanding to the size of your house. Once comfy here, expand over your city & keep going until you are the size of the universe. You'll feel pretty small actuallly at this point. This is a very easy simple technique & was taught to me by an actual monk. Try it out!!!!! It feels fantastic!!!!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• first I hop in the tub( its a place I know I can get some quiet time)..start a nice warm bubble bath with some salt. I just soak for a while, let the water relax my muscles and focus on clearing my mind...mostly i just picture the water washing away my stress. when I focus on clearing my thoughts i pick something, like the water, or some use a white light, that completely fills your mind, so that nothing else enters.. then I find my place of peace.. after about 10 mins, i let the image fade from my mind as I count back from 10.
    breathing is also key.
    this is how I do it, but there are many forms... and you'll probably have to try a few until you find one that suits you.. especially if you are religious and are trying to find peace religiously. pm me if you have any ?s
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 4:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well, since everyone else is telling you how they do it...here's how I do it...keep in mind, I'm an atheist.

Step 1: Get a horse
    Step 2: Saddle up and get on the horse.
    Step 3: Ride the horse and while riding feel the wind in your hair and breathe the fresh air and stroke the horse's neck from time to time and canter a bit and gallop a bit and look at the blue sky and talk to the horse and feel the sun on your face...it especially helps if you are in the beautiful mountains of Tennessee while doing all this...

This process works for me every time.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 4:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• There are many different forms of meditation. One of simplest forms is zazen (sitting) meditation, where you simply sit still and focus on your breath... not controlling it, not forcing it, simply watching it. Another form of meditation involves chanting a mantra... it can be anything, the point is simply to sit, chant, and clear your mind. Personally this is my favourite form of meditation... awhile ago I took a meditation course and we did chanting meditation in a group... it was totally amazing! There are also 'insight meditations' where you first relax, then focus on a particular thought or idea, sometimes this is a guided meditation where a group leader guides the group through the meditation. Personally I don't get as much out of this, but many people prefer it. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2009