Im almost twenty one weeks prenant and gained 24 pounds already, Im 5'5 and weighted about 128 before the pregnancy is this a normal weight gain or is it excessive?

stacey00

Asked by stacey00 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I really don't see that to be excessive. Some women gain more at certain times during their pregnancy.
    I was 92lbs pre-pregnancy, now I'm 36w4d and 132lbs.
    So I've gained 40, my doctor is pleased.
    I'm all belly, too.
    Don't get worried about numbers. As long as your baby is healthy!
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 3:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Unless you're carrying multiples you should reexamine your diet. Cut out the fat and the processed sugar as much as possible and add lots of fruits and veggies.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• It's not excessive. I gained a lot with my pregnancy (I think 40-50 lbs), and 4 months after the baby I'm in great shape! Eating was the only thing that made me feel better. I was always really sick. I wouldn't worry about it, and if you are worried just watch out on the quality of foods you are eating, not how much.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 2:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• is this your first? i know with my first i was 105 lbs and when i was 6 months along my doc asked maybe we should check for twins. why??? because i was gaining way to much all in all i gained 60lbs. so a bananasplit every fri....not a good idea. i learned my lesson and when me and dh had our son i was alot better and knew better. its hard. but just see what your eating maybe cut down. good luck. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The Dr. will think it's excessive, and worry about the onset of gestational diabetes. Start walking regularily and being aware of what you are eating and when. It is expected to gain the most weight in the last half of the pregnancy. You don't have to gain all of that weight if you are careful...If you are eating properly for the pregnancy, you will gain. If you are walking and getting safe excersize, you will gain baby weight and not fat weight. Baby weight is by far easier to get off after the baby is born. Fat weight is hardest.
    GMOTM

Answer by GMOTM at 2:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• They really dont like for women to gain alot of weight during pregnancy bc it can cause health problems like diabetes etc. I have heard it is common to gain a good amount of weight with your first child. You have to take into consideration though that some weight is the water weight and then some is the baby. I dont think you are doing to bad as far as weight. Just keep an eye on how much and what you eat.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Even though people are going to shovel food into your mouth bc your "eating for 2" in reality you only need 500 more calories then a normal diet while pregnant. Watch eating at night... try and stop eating by 7 and if you feel the need to eat, eat something like an apple or yogurt ... or try drinking hot cocoa. The best way to keep yourself from eating more then you need is to eat small/healthy meals or snacks every 3-4 hours. Now in my opinion your not doing to bad but these are suggestions if you feel you are gaining to much.
    jroseh68

• with my first i was 98lbs pre preg and was at 157 when i had her..same thing happened w my 2nd..and now im 28wks w my 3rd and ive gained 40lbs. dont worry about it. if you're hungry, eat. but eat healthy.. i know how hard that can be while preggo sinces cravings come out of no where and i eat what ever i feel like eating.lol. some people are just meant to gain quite a bit of weight.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• to clarify my previous post..according to WebMD:
    First of all, no matter what you weigh prior to pregnancy you must gain weight. Women who are clinically overweight still need to gain at the minimum 15 pounds, and women who are underweight need to gain more than the average statement of 25-35 pounds, usually at least 10-15 pounds more depending on the severity of the weight problem. These figures are for the healthy woman carrying a single baby. Moms who are expecting multiples will need to gain more weight, although no standards have been devised for these special needs as a whole.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2009