I want to breast feed my baby but I would like to do it by using a breast pump only not by having her actually breast feed on my nipple. Can you breastfeed full time from a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Don't feel bad. There are a lot more women that feel this way then are willing to admit to it. It seems weird now because you are still pregnant. Wait to decide until you hold them for the first time. It is much more natural then you might think. I felt the same way with my first and did not plan to breastfeed but my husband wanted me to at least try. After the baby is born give yourself time to adjust if you still feel that way than you can decide from there. My first daughter was the first grandbaby in a long time and when people came to visit I found that breastfeeding was the only time I got to hold my baby. I would often steal the baby back and insist that it was time to feed just so that I could have some time along with them also a good way to get some time away from the in laws. LOL
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 3:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You can, but you'll be spending a lot more time and energy if you do it that way. I did do it that way at one point with my twins, and it was really time consuming.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• you can but its gonna be hard on you, you have to pump alot and store it away, i would see it as you pumping all the time and you'll get tired of it but it's possible for you to just pump and feed.
    Tmehiar

Answer by Tmehiar at 2:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yes you can but TweenAndTwinMom is right. I do this with my 4 month old only because I work full time. I really can not breastfeed on the weekends because after having so many bottles my daughter is not very gentle or patience when it comes to breastfeeding. First off at night it is much easier to breastfeed than to get a bottle ready trust me!! Also, pumping is more of a chore than actually breastfeeding. Having to pump and then also feed the baby by bottle you are basically making double the work for yourself. Again, it is possible and if you perfer this way it is at least better than formula but you might find that it more difficult then you realize. Let me put it this way, try pumping 15 to 20 minutes to while you have a screaming child.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 2:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You could, but as the other posters have said, it would be very time consuming. Can I ask why you don't want her nurse from your breast?
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• This may sound kinda bad but believe me I dont mean for it to, Im very excitied about my future baby but the though of having its mouth on my nipple kinda freaks me out and seems like it would just feel wrong!
    stacey00

Answer by stacey00 at 3:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• That's too bad that you look at it that way..
    You're going to make having a newborn much harder on yourself.
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 3:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Stacey, alot of people are the same way, but when it comes to it, they don't feel weird at all. Please just give it a try before you write it off. It may not feel as weird as you think. There will be people at the hospital to help you. Good luck and congratulations. If you want to chat about it or have anymore questions, feel free to send me a message!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2009