Snarky and mean!

Why are so many unbelivers in the christian faith so mean and snarky. They even jump on believers who are asking honest questions and NOT trying to convert them. Where's the tolerance that they scream about? Anyone care to help me understand?

madetobeamom

Asked by madetobeamom at 2:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • Honestly, I think that "tolerence" was meant to force Christians to let others believe as they want. And, for the most part (from what I've seen in my personal experience) we have become more tolerent. But once the tables are turned, the "tolerence" is gone. Christians are being pushed around, and are not allowed to push back. Sad, but true.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 3:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My brother is an atheist. He is not mean, but admits that many of his friends are mean.  He has said it is because they were from a strong Catholic family (or other devote religious family) and forced to practice religion. So, now they act as though everyone is out to convert or judge them. Not sure that accounts for the whole. Only speaking from experience. Our parents were rather hippies and didn't have a religion. We occasionally went to church, but were giventhe freedome to choose which church.  I chose to goto a catholic school, and I became Lutheran.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• In high school, we all went to public school, and he said he felt as though he was judged for being different, because Christianity was considered the "norm".. I can see their feeling of being a minority. But I also think they have some extreme thoughts that the world is out to get them.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Most have no clue what real tolerance is. I find those who say they are tolerant and accept all are usually not so tolerant and only accept those who think just like them. As a Christian I have my beliefs and will not compromise them to make someone feel better. I am nice to all and love all just don't agree with all. That to some is intolerance. It is funny sometimes to hear people on this site. Many have no clue. This is a great little thing about When Tolerance is Intolerant.

http://www.str.org/site/News2?page=NewsArticle&id=5359

Anonymous

• I personally think everybody must have right of freedom of religion . There are mean people in both sides.
    Anonymous

• For me it is the christians that are mean and snarky....most that I have come across in this forum and in real life judge like no other, they (meaning general) tell others and myself I will burn in hell, die a horrible death, need to accept God/jesus or I/we are damned, we are evil beings and that if christ was in our lives we( general again) would not have problems with marriage, kids ,life, paying bills etc....I have been shocked at the responces from so called christians. Some have been down right in your face
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well, Christians are being condemned on everything in the media. When we talk about what is in the Bible (which has been in there long before our great, great great grandparents were even thought of) we are cast as prejudiced, hateful and judgmental.
    Mommylady190

Answer by Mommylady190 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I don't care what people believe, but I REALLY hate it when they are knocking on my door at least once a month! If I want to go to Church I'm sure I can find one on my own, thanks!
    Anonymous

• I don't think this is the norm because I have met some Christian or should I say so-called christians on CM that have been verrrry judgemental, rude and condemning in their posts, I think it is then that you bring out the fire in the non-christian. Maybe if we truly acted like christians we would really be attractive to the non-believers, if more of us realized it takes honey to get the bees...hee hee I just had to say that. But hey there are different levels of christian faiths out there and my christian faith tolerates things I wouldn't necessarily do myself, with the exception of a few things. And some christian faiths that are should I say extreme that wouldn't be attractive to another christian faith.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Um, many Christians are just as snarky and mean in their responses, and THEY do it in the name if Jesus! How ridiculous is that? I'm not saying it's right for either party to be mean, but believe me, I've been bashed and ridiculed from many Christians, especially on CM. And most don't even stop to ask what my beliefs are.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009