• In the Spotlight:

Child support in different states?

I live in one state and my dd's father lives in another. Our daughter is 8 years old and while I had a CS order open until 2004, he paid very little due to him going to school full-time and having low-paying jobs. We went to court together and I decided to clear his CS obligations until he was finished with school (since I saw no use in him going to jail and I was making decent money to support our dd). He told me in 3 years he would be well on his feet. Well, it has been almost 5 years and he is still not finished with school. Meanwhile, I am struggling financially and really need the help from him.

My question is, how do I reopen the case now that I live in another state? The caseworker we had spoken to said I only need to let them know and they will reopen it but that was when I lived there. Now what?

Advice or similar experiences?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Have you called your caseworker to ask?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Sounds like you just need to call your caseworker.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Both of my childrens fathers are now in other states. You can always open or reopen a case in the county in which you live. It will be their obligation to get to the court or have their attorney relay the information to your local court. I have one that travels here and the other has an attorney that does phone conferences.
    VaDivaMom

Answer by VaDivaMom at 5:34 PM on Jan. 24, 2009