Screaming?

My daughter screams, screeches, just this high pitched squeal that drives me crazy. She does it on purpose. When i ask her to stop she laughs and does it anyway. Does anyone else have this problem? How did you deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• How old is your daughter?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• ohhhh god i do!!!!!!! my son is 3 and he does it. i would be like ( put kids name here ) please stop it..... screammmmm. i said no.....screammmmm. finally i had to bap him on the hand and say i said no screaming. it works to a point. but if were at a store and someone else kids screams my son says no screaming. i look at him like uhhhh you do it to. but at times he and another kid in the store will both do it me and the other mom just look at each other and tiredly smile. hey maybe it was you..lol.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• She's 2.
    Anonymous

• Your justice must be swift, direct and consistent. You do not ASK her to stop, you TELL her.

Get down on her level, in her face, and say NO SCREAMING. Give her a chance to really hear you. Then if she does it again, IMMEDIATE time out. No drama, no "you're making mommy sad" - just TIME OUT. She gets out of there after two minutes or when she calms down. Then it starts over. If you are in public, do NOT be vulnerable. Use the same methods. I have used "time out" in the grocery store and it works.

Your daughter is testing your boundaries - you need to be consistent with what you will accept. You are the grown up - the tired, tired grown up.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Tell them that it hurts mommies ears. And act like it hurts. This worked for my child, she felt bad about "hurting my ears" & did not do it anymore.

Or tell them every time they scream, you'll throw one of there toys in the trash. This works for me ALL THE TIME, with anything. No need to spank, just threaten to throw his favorite toy away. I never actually threw them away, just hid them for a long time until they learned. It's all about the leverage.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• How I would react would depend on the situation. How old is she? Does she tend to do it when she is feeling a certain way (such as when she's happy, bored, angry, just playing, etc.)? A lot of toddlers & preschoolers just seem to need or like to screech/squeal. & no amount of discouraging it seems to work. If she's young and doing it because she thinks it's fun and/or funny, I would probably try to find a place or way for her to do it that was less irritating for me. Encouraging her to squeal into a bucket or something might dampen the sound and make it more tolerable for me until she outgrew it. Or I might designate a certain place the "screeching place". If she wanted to screech, I would take her to the "screeching place" and let her screech there. (Not as a punishment, mind you, just as a way to help her get it out of her system so she can move past her need to do it.)
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 3:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• my son was doing the same thing at 18 months. he got 1 warning, and then it was time out, no matter where we are, on the bus, at the store, at home, wherever. i always use time out, it works wonderfully. he is now 2 and is a fairly well behaved kid. Good Luck
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 6:48 AM on Jan. 25, 2009