Afraid of a c section.

Ok. I posted a few days ago about the baby possibly being breach. Well, after what I have read and heard I don't know if I want to have the baby turned, I will see what the doctor says. It seems pretty stressful and painful. I have always said I would do anything to avoid a c section but, now with my current reality I don't know if that is possible. ANYWAYS, here is my question. If you had pain relief that kept you awake during your c section was it really weird and when were you able to hold your baby? If you were asleep how long was it before you could hold your baby? Last question, to those of you that didn't have pill pain relief after the c section how painful was it. I am trying to ease my fears I have been up for days stressed out over this stuff. All of my other kids were normal pregnancies and perfect deliveries.

matthewscandi

Asked by matthewscandi at 3:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Both of mine were scheduled C and went very smoothly. DH was first to hold baby and I was nursing both within an hour. I was on pain meds for a day or so but I have very low tolerance for ouchies!!!!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I had my first naturally - no drugs. The thought of a c-section scared me, but it was not as bad as I had imagined. The anesthesia was strange to me and I hated feeling out of control ( I had no idea they would tie my hands down either, and that is scary). Also, it made me sick afterwards. I did not get to hold my babies in the operating room, but my husband did bring them to me for a quick kiss before they left. I was in recovery for a while before going back to my room, and they actually gave me something for anxiety because I didn't deal well with not being able to feel or move my own body (I think my fear was increased because my dad is paralyzed from the waist down due to a car wreck). I don't know how bad the pain would have been w/o pain meds because I took them (some are safe for breastfeeding). Good luck - it's not fun, but the end result is worth it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I had my DS 8 months ago, via csection because he was stuck in my birth canal. It was not an emergency csection since his heart rate was perfectly normal.

I had an epidural when I was going through labor, but it wore off after I was done pushing. Instead of giving me more of the epidural drugs, they gave me a spinal for the csection. I'm not sure what they would do for you since, if you have a csection because of the baby being breech, it would be scheduled. Possibly a spinal, which isn't bad at all. You can't feel anything from your chest down and works immediately. CONT. BELOW

ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• However, after the csection was done, it took around 2 hours for the drug to wear off. I was laying flat and DH was able to bring our son over to me so I could look at him and touch him. I think I held him about 30 mins afterwards while I was laying there.

For pain, I was given a strong medication at the hospital, then given different stuff for home. I was given 800mg of IB Profin, and an Rx for Darviset. I had to alternate taking them and probably did that for a few days, then stopped. I had a really good recovery and it really depends on how you are with pain.

If you have any more questions, message me. I know it's scary but, for me, it wasn't as bad as I thought.
    ap9902

• I had a c-section, and I was awake, and I got to hold my baby right away, right there before he was cleaned up and everything. It was a little odd, because I could feel them tugging, but it wasn't painful or anything, it was just this very slight tugging sensation.

I was able to nurse with no problem.

Now, I did have problems after my c-section, but they were less to do with the c-section and more to do with my body and where I had the c-section. (I was on a Navy base on a very remote island, and one of the meds they gave me was morphine, and come to find out, I'm allergic to morphine.)

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• cont

Also, one think to keep in mind - when they say take it easy - they MEAN IT! I pushed my luck, justifying it to myself with things like "well, if I can carry my baby, how much heavier is a couple of bags of groceries.... If I'm allowed to walk up and down the stairs, why can't I vacuum them while I do it... I did this right away when I got home from the hospital, and I ended up back in the hospital for a couple of days with a uterine infection.

Oh - and btw - Like I said, my ds was born c-section, and my dd was born v-bac. I have to say, I was actually more alert when I got to hold my son for the first time (I was so exhausted and hurting I was pretty out of it when my dd was born.) I'm glad I had the v-bac, don't get me wrong, but having experienced both, I don't think one could really be considered "easier" than the other, and you have to recover from both.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• take a breath! and be glad ur not going to have to push one out! lol i had a c section 7 months ago with my baby and i tell u what I AM GLAD! if i ever have another kid... it's commin out the same way//// i was up and walkin that night after the numbness went away... i am not gonna lie to u it was painful.. but IF U DO HAVE ONE PLEASE LISTEN TO ME... GET UP THE 1ST DAY WHEN THEY TELL U TO OR IT WILL HURT! but i went home after the 4th day and wen't to target to get some things witht he baby... i was up n walkin around find.... i was tender but it was all bareable
    itzanangelthang

Answer by itzanangelthang at 3:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• when you have a c-section they give you a needle in your lower back and they lay you right down quick. it works that fast. all you feel is tugging and weirdness, but no pain. corina was 12 weeks early so i didn't get to hold her until she was 2 weeks old. but, what every you do, do not walk around before they tell you to. i did and 2 inches of my incision broke open. not fun! i hate everything about my c-section, especially how my stomach hangs over the scar and i can't find jeans that will fit properly and look good. but if it came to the health of my baby i would do it all again and that's the only reason. it pisses me off that doctors do so many 'elective c-sections' these days. you know yourself how wonderful natural childbirth is. i was 16 when i had my oldest naturally and she was 9-11. my best wishes to you, sweetie!
    ~blue
    momofapreemie

Answer by momofapreemie at 4:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• oh, and i was awake. (forgot that part) lol
    ~blue
    momofapreemie

Answer by momofapreemie at 4:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Don't be scared - just remember all the people that have had kids before you! It will work out no matter what happens. We tried the version (turning a breech baby) and I would NOT recommend doing it. It is painful, and stressful, and usually unsuccessful. The baby will turn back around before you go into labor if it is meant to be...if not - then have the c-section. Mine was breech, then turned on her own (after they tried to turn her unsuccessfully) and then I ended up being induced and then they had to do an emergency c-section anyway.

Either way it will be fine - so no worries!!!
    Val1313

Answer by Val1313 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2009