Does this sound right? my seamstress said the corset will fix the fit of my bridal gown

I Just tried on my wedding dress, the lady is converting it from a zipper back to a corset back. It fits a bit loosely around my hips so I asked her to please take care of that as well. She said that the corset back will take care of that as well. It doesn't make much sense to me since the corset isn't going all the way down. I'm worried about it because the wedding is in 13 days, so if the corset doesn't take care of it, my dress won't fit properly. What do you girls think, will the corset fix it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Apr. 1, 2012 in Beauty & Style

• Doesn't sound like one will fix the other....but I'm not a seamstress.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:25 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• a picture will help us give you correct info

if she is just replacing the zipper with the corset back and not taking out any fabric, it will fit the same in the same locations
    if you need the hips to be tighter then the corset back MUST go over the hips and fabric MUST be removed
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 7:27 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• I have done tons of bridal alterations and what you describe does not sound right to me. Now, I can't see the dress, but the corseting takes care of the fit only where it is. For example, if it goes from the waist to the bust then that is the area that will be affected when corseted tightly. The hip area is a relatively easy alteration unless it is overlaid with beads, lace, or has ruching. Is there anyone else who can take a look at it? I had a bride come to me once and her sister in law had tried to alter the dress, made a mess of it, and I was able to fix it quickly. How I wish I could help you!! Are you anywhere in the northern Maryland area?
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:30 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• I don't have any pics, but it's a mermaid silhouette. And she's not taking any fabric from it and the corset will stop at the end of my back. I'm thinking of taking it to someone else, but I'm also worried that no one will be able to fix it in time for the wedding.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:32 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• Get on the phone tomorrow and call as many places as you can to find someone. Ask your friends for recommendations, etc. Make sure you verify they have done bridal work. But make sure she finishes the corseting to your satisfaction first.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:35 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• Whitepeppers- unfortunately no, I'm in California. *tears*The dress has lace from the neckline down until where it starts to flare, from there on it's tulle.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• Whitepeppers- I'm going to get on it first thing tomorrow. Thank you so much!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• So, lace complicates the hip alteration, but it is still doable. I want to say that perhaps the fit is not as bad as you "see" it and remember that you will look gorgeous no matter what!. Keep it in perspective and don't let it rule the day if it is not taken care of. I know that is easier said than done, but I thought I would try!! I hope it is one of the most wonderful days of your life and wish you all the best.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:52 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• Thank you so, so much, you're so sweet :) and yes, if it's not done, I'm still going to be happy and enjoy the day!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Apr. 1, 2012

• It's true that brides usually look gorgeous no matter if the fit is perfect. I'm sure no one else will notice it. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:26 PM on Apr. 1, 2012