Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know anything about government assistance and child support?

Is government assistance a form or child support and does the father have to pay back the money given to the mother from the state? If he's making child support payments will they take his taxes to pay back the state?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • If the dad is making payments, you won't get "child support" assistance. You can however still get food stamps, medical card, kchip/ktap etc. I believe this is correct but I have never dealt with child support, so I'm not sure about that part.

    Answer by srhmldndo at 3:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • all i know is if the father is paying child support and you need to be on assistence then his payments go to the state to repay them no they wont take his taxes to pay it but if hes behind on his child support then yes they will take it out of his taxes. But like the above said if you are recieveing child support payments i dont think you quilifie for assistence you will be able to get food stamps but thats it. hope that helps.

    Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • i agree with srhmldndo. many years ago i left my dd's dad and got help they took c/s out of him ( i didnt see it ) but i got cash grant and food stamps. and a year later when i was able to provide for me and dd i got off assistence and they sent me the c/s checks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • If you get welfare then depending on your state they will take the child support dad is paying and only cut you a check for $50 and give the rest to pay back what their giving you. Make sense? So say you have 2 kids and get $500 a mth in child support. You go get TANF they give you around $300 and $50 from the cs and use the $450 to repay the state. If he isnt making payments then they take him to court for whatever amount of assistance you get. If they cannot get the money from him then when you are off assistance they can and will take YOU to court and get the money from you. Yes if you owe the govt money for welfare and dont pay after court and attempts they can take your tax return.

    Answer by gemgem at 3:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

  • Chid suppor is not gov assistance. You can receive food stamp. If you want cash from public asistance you have to do a work program and still receive child support. You can go through welfare to get child support or you can go to the child enforcement agency. You will more likely get the maximum money back if you go thru child enforcement. If the father does not pay child support and he has an child support order, they can take his taxes. They will never take his taxes and give it to the state unless you are receiving child support and not reporting to them. They still wont take it from him, they will make you pay it back. It also depends on which state you are in.

    Answer by MizzThom at 3:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.