Why do people get to use tax payer money for things other then their intend purpose?

I have seen multiple people on here say I get pell grants for school (which is through government) and use it pay bills or get this and that. How is that fair?

Also where do they come up with the amount of money a family gets for food stamps? I spend $400 on food a month & toiletries for a family of 4 and we eat well). There are people where I work that sell food stamps because the government gives them (family of 4 also) $900 and they only use $400. So they turn around charge people $20 for 40 worth of food. They basically get 200-300 extra money to spend however they want.

I am fine with grants, food stamps, welfare, wic but why do we allow so much abuse of the system?

For those who abuse the system how do you feel knowing your abusing the system and taking away from other families who need it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Yeah, it sucks.....it happens, but thats the way it is i guess. That is why I refuse to get food stamps, because even though we are struggling to make it every week, I dont want anyone to look at me and think I am "one of them" that do that.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 3:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I wanted to add...
    If you know people that do abuse the system; cant you report them?
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 3:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• As far as pell grants and school aide, that is given to help the student pay their bills during school. There is nothing wrong with that. They are given say $10000 a semester, first they pay the school for the students books and classes, the rest is sent to the student for living expenses, that's what it's for.

As far as food stamps go, I do agree with you. And it's crappy. But there isn't much you can do unless you can prove someone is abusing the system. And that's pretty hard to prove.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 4:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I thought they went to food stamp cards... Like debit cards and you can only buy food with them. I can't see how someone could "sell" thier foodstamps anymore... and as far as the grants go feesharose is right....
    Anonymous

• I hear of ppl selling food stamps all the time. The person with the card gets a list of items from the person buying them and takes it to the store, gets the food with their card, then brings it back to the person (i.e. drug dealer) for the cash (i.e. drugs)
    Anonymous

• feesharose...thanks for adding that. I get loans for school. I use the funds to pay my bills, and most of the time I am just catching up on past due stuff so it is gone before I get it. My pell grant has never covered more than my books and tuition.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 8:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• well here they do cards. This person will go in with you buy $40 or more in food and you give them 20. I had one coworker tell me they buy their months food for $20 because of this. Yet I know a family with dad laid off mom working very little and they can't get food stamps temporarily.

Anonymous

• It sucks but what can you do....it's not really any of your business. I will say that we get Wic and I do need help with food, so I stay on it.. Right now I'm the only one who drinks milk so I keep one gallon and give the rest to the people upstairs with 3 kids. I often give them juice, peanut butter and tuna...I don' t see anything wrong with helping out other people....I am not selling food to them for a profit!
    Anonymous

• I dont get upset when people trade cash for food stamps. In reality, anyone who needs the food that badly, should get it. I was on WIC for years when I was younger and I always had extra milk I would give to my Grandmother.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 9:14 PM on Jan. 24, 2009

• My parents used to do that all the time. I did try to report them and the office basically said I can't provide proof, so there's nothing to be done. Difference is, we did need the food because 6 kids and 2 adults were living there.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 8:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2010