what is Pro-Choice?

So far, the only time I have heard anyone use it is to allow abortion. I know some people who are pro-choice, but they are anti-abortion. Aside from abortion, I am unaware of anything that the government may be enforcing or preventing me to do with my body, therefore I am pro-life.
So here is my question: is there anything other than the abortion issue that pro-choice stands for?

chickenhobbit

Asked by chickenhobbit at 3:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Pro-choice also encompasses a woman's right to use birth control...something that some pro-life groups are also trying to (quietly) ban. You don't ever hear about that though, do you? But it's true. Many pro-life groups want to not just ban abortion, but ALL forms of birth control. Pro-choice means that a woman has the right to decide what she's doing with her body...that includes, but is not limited to, abortion. It encompasses birth control and selective sterilization.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 3:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I consider pro-choice as refusing to make a decision for someone else. I don't feel I have a right to force someone to carry a baby to term, when it will not impact my life or the lives of my children. It does not necessarily mean that I am in favor of abortion. It's just not my decision to make and not what I will answer for on judgement day. I will answer for my own sins.
    Anonymous

• Pro-choice for me is that every woman has right to make a choice what to do with her body. It's not my place to say what to do.
    Anonymous

• here's another thing i consider: i believe that abortion is killing life and/or not being accountable (in the case of rape, i understand it isn't the woman's fault). maybe somebody else's baby not being carried to term will not affect me directly, but using that same logic, someone who shot an unarmed person across the other side of the country is not going to affect me either.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 3:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• thank you mizkaye, for bringing that up, i had never heard of that once before, and it helps answer my question!
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 3:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Answered at 2:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 by: Anonymous Pro-choice for me is that every woman has right to make a choice what to do with her body. It's not my place to say what to do.

I agree with that explanation. 

Mommylady190

Answer by Mommylady190 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Pro-choice means that we have the belief that it isn't our job to decide something for someone else. I believe that abortion should never be used as a form of birth control. It should be reserved for cases of rape, or if the pregnancy poses a risk to the mother's life. I would only use it for myself in those circumstances, NEVER "just cuz."

Every woman should be allowed to make the choice for herself. In the end SHE is going to be the one living with her choice. Yes, it's sad and unfortunate when a woman chooses abortion, but the emotional burden will not be placed upon my shoulders in the end. Therefore, I feel that I have no right to force a woman to do one thing or the other. We're adults, we make our own right or wrong decisions in every other aspect of our lives...why should that be the exception?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• You're welcome...and I'm not surprised you haven't heard about it because it's kept on the down low since it's not a popular view to express but it is the ultimate goal of lots of pro-life groups...the complete and total ban on all forms of birth control. The Pope himself is against condoms and (previous Pope) had to be admonished once for claiming that they do not help stop the spread of HIV but in fact will hasten it! This is the main reason and hidden goal of so-called 'Conscience Clauses'...those laws that allow medical personel, like pharmacists, to not perfom procedures or fill 'scripts based on their own moral view.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 3:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Pro Choice is a belief that women have a right to choose whether their unborn baby will live or will be cut up and sucked out of her. Pro life believe that unborn baby has the same right to life, liberty and a pursuit of happiness the rest of us have.
    Anonymous

• i want to make a new movement: pro-birth control anti abortion! eh, too many words, lol. i think for now i will stay pro-life, but i will look into it deeper now, thnx.
    chickenhobbit

Answer by chickenhobbit at 3:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2009