• In the Spotlight:

Do you believe that a person can recive a fair trial in this day and age?

Looking at some of the high profile cases that are being plastered on TV. With every detail (right or wrong) being played over and over do you thing that a person can receive a a fair trial. I think that the media has way to much freedom when it comes to criminal cases and are not held responsible for reporting unverified facts to the public. I believe this to hurt anyone's chances to get a fair trial, because the possible jury pool is contaminated with media coverage before a trial can even begin.

CorCorsmomma

Asked by CorCorsmomma at 3:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I do. Not everyone follows every news story. For instance the Casey Anthony case, my mil, my fil and my dad and my aunt have no freaking clue who she is. But I know everything about that case LOL. Ok then politics some people follow that like insane and others dont. So yes I think people can get a fair trial. Not to mention as a juror you are quizzed and kept tabs on and a judge can overturn a juries decision if they feel it is wrong.

Answer by gemgem at 3:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Yes, as far as the facts go. But even if you take a case that isn't high profile and hasn't been plastered all over the news, you will still have a jury of peers that have lived their own experiences. If it's a murder case and one of the jury had a family member or friend that was murdered, they will be bias.
    Anonymous

• I believe that people whose cases are plastered over the television can receive a fair trial. Only because as Jurors you have to swear to keep an open mind and to not let your emotions get in the way of your verdict. That is why jurors are questions by the defense and prosecutors.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 3:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If I were a Juror I believe I could keep an open mind. Look at the facts presented to me, and only them, but I don't know if I could really trust others to do the same thing. You can say that you will, but I think that what you heard in the past always comes into play. This is me though! I like hearing other opinions on stuff. Thats why I ask :)
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 3:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• While I think that it is highly unlikely to receive a fair trial in todays day and age, anything is possible.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 3:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think you have a point, but, I am happy that we have freedom of the press. We should all stop taking the press for face value though.
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think CSI and Law and Order have far more impact on people not getting a fair trial than any news coverage of the actual case.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Not unless you have money. My DH was screwed by the justice system and we could have fought it if we had a few thousand dollars to spare!
    Anonymous

• No, not in this age of information.
    Anonymous

• I think money or lack there of, makes it hard for poor people to get a fair trial.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 7:40 AM on Jan. 24, 2009