Do you think internet, cable and/or cell is neccessary?

Do you think internet, cable and/or cell phones are neccessities? In a tough economy many scale back just wondering how many feel they can't live without these three things and they allow other bills including rent to go on the back burner to insure these are paid.

Also how much do you pay for all of them or you can break them out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• Of course they're not necessities. They're luxuries. We could go without if we absolutely without a doubt HAD to...but we're not to that point yet. I couldn't tell you how much we pay at the moment, we live with my mom right now. We're moving into our own place next month.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• $100 for two cell phones, $60 for internet - we've never had cable.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• (and we don't have landlines)
    Wimsey

• I think if you cant afford them then no they are not needs. Im in college so for me internet is a need and my kids also use it for school work. I dont own a cell by choice because I always forgot it anyway when I went out so what was the point? It was an added bill I didnt need. However as for cable itself if you dont need it and cant afford it then you shouldnt have it. I went 3 or 4 yrs without it and I lived. I was a single mom and got no child support and we made due with what we had since I had to work just to put food on the table and pay rent without much help.
    I can break down what we pay easy. I have a charter bundle, dvr, extra box, every channel available including movies, internet and phone through cable and I pay around $180.

Answer by gemgem at 3:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I definitely know that computer/Internet, cell phones, and cable are not necessities, and if we were to have financial issues, those would be some of the first things to go. We have perfect credit and pay all of our bills on time, and would scale back on non-necessary items if needed in order to keep our credit intact. Our first priorities are the mortgage, cars, utilities, and groceries, everything else is a luxury we can live without if we have to. Yes, if we had to do without the cell phones and internet and TV, we might be a little bored or feel inconvenienced, but oh well, responsible people do what they have to do... :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think it depends on the situation. I know that while I love having all three of those things, that if I truely had to cut back on expenses that I could do without them. However, I have a friends who makes her living over the computer at home, for her internet is a must. I used to have a cell phone when things were bad, and that was because with three small children too much could happen where I would need help and such, in trade we did not have a home phone.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 3:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• I think the everyone can do without cable/internet. But a lot of time a cell can be necessary.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• If you don't have those things in the first place or you're not going to suffer credit-wise or financially from getting rid of them.... then why not. Wanna cut your electric bill?
    1. Unplug the microwave, coffee pot, cable boxes, television.... all that stuff that just has a light or clock that stays on all the time... I did this one year and cut my electric by $40 a month.
    2. Put dark curtains over the windows in rooms you don't use constantly through the day...the room stay cooler/warmer and the unit doesn't run as much.
    3. Turn the heater way down; Use the fireplace and camp out in the living room 2 nights a week.... It's amazing how much energy you save in those two days - they add up per billing cycle.
    4. Vent your dryer into the house during winter months- it humidifies the air and heats as well.
    5. Wash dishes by hand- retire the dishwasher for a while.
    6. Use the crockpot instead of the stovetop
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Well, we have never had cell phones or cable so I've got to say no for those. BUT I own my own business and most of my income is generated online. So Yes, if we want paid we have to have the internet. I also make decent money with EBay, again, we need the internet. So, I think that would have to be a case by case thing. If we didn't earn money from the internet it wouldn't be a neseccity, but yes, for us it is.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Personally, I find them necessities :)

I think I could live without the cable. I could scale down my cell phone to the Pay-As-You-Go kind and use it for emergencies only. As for the internet, HECK NO! I couldn't live without it!
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2009