Is it really safe to drink a glass of wine when you are expecting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• occasionaly yes
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Thats what I was told by my dr. 1/2 to a whole glass is ok but I never risked it.

Answer by gemgem at 3:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• im gonna let you know ahead of time the big bomb that you just dropped and how many rude coments you're gonna get..its gonna turn into an ugly debate!! but Yes its safe. ask your dr
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• yes
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 3:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The first trimester is the most important. The baby develops its ograns then. The last trimester you can get away with a glass and should be fine. Straight from my drs. mouth and my husband (who is an obgyn.)
    Anonymous

• I had some alcohol when I was in the 3rd trimester. I would have a sip or two of DH's beer or a very small glass of wine ... maybe 2-3 oz. of wine.

This wasn't every night, but maybe once every 2 weeks.

There will be A LOT of different answers with this question. If you feel comfortable with having a small amount every so often, go for it. If you don't and can wait until after the baby is born, you can do that too.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• no it s not safe
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• My OB told me one glass of red wine every other week would be safe during the first 2 trimesters and a glass of wine per week during the third was safe. Red wine (in extreme moderation) has beneficial effects on the circulatory system - both for you AND your baby. It's when the alcohol is consumed regularly and frequently that there is a higher risk. Like (for example) I wouldn't recommend a glass of wine every night while pregnant even during the third trimester.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2009