Tax Lien? Holy Crap... what happens now?

I met my DH in 06. We'll be married 2 years this year. A letter from the IRS came today, certified. They have put a lien on him for unpaid taxes from 03, 04 and 05. I knew he had back taxes, but I made him go file them last year BEFORE our wedding.... I thought he had taken care of this. He said he filed his back taxes.... maybe he had more than just these years..... IDK..... right now I'm feeling drained and hurt. We're married so everything is community property. Does this means that what ever I own is also included in the lien? I don't know what to do next, who to call or how to proceed to get this taken care of... we don't have $12K to just write a check to the IRS.... we don't even have $1K right now. Anyone had this happen....what's the process?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2009 in Money & Work

• He needs to call the IRS and make payment arrangements to pay off the amount that he owes. They are more than willing if he asks for the help. I had to do that a few years ago.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• Is the lien on property, or just your bank accounts. I used to work for a bank and would see liens placed on accounts. Basically the IRS empties your bank accounts.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2009

• The paper says property. Can they hijack our bank account too? Should we stop his direct deposit and cash the paychecks until this is cleared up? OMG..
    Anonymous

• Just to be safe, i would open an account in just your name and put the money in there. I would try to stop the direct deposit. I have heard of the putting leins on bank accounts. I don't know if it is true and legal or not. But i wouldn't take a chance because if they do put a loein on it , you cannt get to the money.You may can call them and make some sort of payment plan. Some payment is better than none in my eyes. They can eighter take it or be hard ass dick heads and be difficult. I don't know if they work or not but you may try that company on TV, The JK Harris tax people to see if they can help you or not. I don't know if it is legit, but maybe check into it. Sorry i don't have any real good solid advice.
    Anonymous

• Dont have any checking accounts or savings,get yourself a safe at home make sure its secured by giant bolts or screws to the floor,and you can see if they will take payment arrangements,I've been thier I'm still in your shoes,its been difficult for us. were still trying to figure out how to pay back $50k...
    Anonymous